+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old Toilets

Default Old Toilets

My husband and I recently purchased a 1955 ranch home. Last month I noticed our water bill was triple what it was in our last house built in 2002 - the water company suggested it might be the toilets. Is there any way to reduce the amount of water the toilets use to flush without replacing them?

Default Re: Old Toilets

You might examine your bill and compare it against one from your old house. If your water charges themselves haven't increased that much, and no other 'hidden' things like sewer or other charges, you definitely want to look to see if you're using about the same amount of water. If it's more water, it might indicate a leak somewhere between the meter and the house or somewhere in your house.

Good luck with it.

Try putting a small amount of food coloring in the tank of the toilet. Check it in a couple of hours to see if the water in the stool has changed color, if it has this means that it is leaking thru and I would rebuild the toilet. You can get a total rebuild kit at Lowes for about $20.00 and it should take about 45 min to 1 hour to replace.

You can cut down on water usage of old toilet by placing bricks, glasses, or bottles in the tank. Just make sure you place them where they won't interfere with the ball cock or float. If you put a 16 oz. bottle in the tank , full on water, you will save 16 ozs. every time you flush.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    You can cut down on water usage of old toilet by placing bricks, glasses, or bottles in the tank. Just make sure you place them where they won't interfere with the ball cock or float. If you put a 16 oz. bottle in the tank , full on water, you will save 16 ozs. every time you flush.
    Jack
    Great idea. I will do so. Thanks for telling us.