+ Reply to Thread

Default Upgrade to 200Amp service

Doing my first upgrade from 100 to 200 amp next week. Is there anything I should be aware of. Ive done many panel changeouts but have never upgraded the size. What size does everything need to be as far as wire and pipe goes? Is the power company responsible for anything?

Default Re: Upgrade to 200Amp service

Are you a licensed electrical contractor?

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    Are you a licensed electrical contractor?
    Same question.

If you’re asking those types of questions at this stage of the game you might want to get some qualified, hands on, personal direction from a pro if you plan on doing this yourself.

IMHO it is far beyond the scope for your questions to be answered on a DIY forum.

Be safe.

Has anyone ever priced one of these jobs. I am looking to have my service upgraded to a 200amp. MY panel, meter box and service drop has to be redone. I have been getting prices from lic electricans that are all over the place. From 1400 to 2000. Where should it really be for this kind of work.

The first thing I would ask is why are you updating to a 200 amp service? In most residential housing, unless they are total electric, 100 amp should be more than sufficient.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Just because they are common doesn't mean they are necessary.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

J L is right here is another thing to consider. The person who is asking this question needs to find out from there electrical inspector for the area that the job is being done in if they have adopted the 2008 nec code and if so will the breakers that are going in there new 200amp panel will have to afci breakers.Thats one of the changes from the 2005 nec to the 2008 nec.Just a thought.

As far as the power company goes, when you have them come to disconnect your service to do the work, ask them if you need to go into the office to apply for the higher size service. Likely there will be fees for the upgrade and they will decide if new service drop wiring or transformer up sizing will be necessary.
    Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should!