+ Reply to Thread

Default Foam Insulation vs carpenter ants???

I had to remove some insulation along the foundation wall in the basement to allow the exterminator to spray for carpenter ants (an annual event), now I need to replace it. I was considering using foam/spray insulation but I don't know if this will give those nasty buggers a nicer home. We had found that carpenter ants set up a nice metropolis inside garage door panels stored in our barn (they dug through the internal styrofoam and set up shop). Does anyone have suggestions that address insect infestation???? Thanks for any advice. I appreciate all your knowledge and humour. Normwantabe

Default Re: Foam Insulation vs carpenter ants???

I had carpenter ants set up house in the spray foam of a hot tub. I knew they were there, but nothing would kill them until I cut the tub up for removal.

Oh My God, the hot tub, it never occurred to me that a hot tub would be heaven to those buggers. My husband will freak out if I even suggest a problem in/with his beloved hot tub, I will address this issue with our exterminator. Thank you so much for the heads up. Eternally grateful Normwantabe

Rumor has it that they don't like diatomaceous earth. See the link below. I have used it for fleas on a couple flip projects, but never tried it on ants.

http://www.ghorganics.com/DiatomaceousEarth.html

I tried diatomaceous earth as well as sevin & some sprays. The problem was even though I could see some of the diggings under the deck the hot tub sat on and ants, I really couldn't tell where they were. It's not like you can lift up the hot tub easily.
    When cutting it apart I hit the mother load nest. Their were thousands of ants and eggs. A quick sprint to the garage to a can of yard quard solved the problem. Killing the nest also solved problem of ants I was getting in the house too.

Ed21,

What's "yard guard", sounds like I need a barrel of the stuff.

Normwantabe

Yard guard is a brand name outdoor insect fogger. It's handy when the flies & mosquitoes get bothersome.
    I just grabbed it because it was handy to kill the ants when I discovered the nest.

Question Re: Foam Insulation vs carpenter ants???

Ok now I know that spray insulation isn't the great solution I thought I would be, any ideas on what would be a good insulation? Is there stuff out there that evasive bugs don't like? Since the cold weather invaded, my husband is on my case to get this done so I'm under some time constrain. Thank you for all your good advice, I really appreciate it.

first get rid of the moisture dry things out and prevent further accumulations in the wood.

treat area with shell-guard all surfaces assure deep penetration.

use borate treated insulation make sure you make provisions to keep it dry.

use no spray foam or rigid foam.