+ Reply to Thread

Default Insulating Attic Storage Floor / BR Ceiling

I have a downstairs bedroom that is below an attic storage space.

The storage space is four feet wide by fifteen feet long and is above one end of the bedroom.

The is no insulation between the two. Only tongue and groove boards as the BR ceiling/storage area floor. The storage area does have a foam pad with carpet over the foam.

On cold days you can feel cold air coming down through the spaces in the tongue and groove boards.

What is the best way to provide more insulation or vapor barrier between the two floors?

I have though about trying this:

- rolling back the carpet and pad.
    - caulking the board seams.
    - installing roofing paper or a wood flooring vapor barrier.
    - reinstalling the foam pad and carpet.

Will this work or is there a better method.

Regards

Default Re: Insulating Attic Storage Floor / BR Ceiling

No ideas?

Regards,

Earnie

I'm trying to understand your set up.
    The way I read this is the bedroom ceiling has tongue and groove boards attached to the joists?
    There is no insulation above this and in the attic there are tongue and groove boards attached to the tops of the same joists covered by a carpet with an underpad?

Don't caulk the tongue and groove it needs to have the ability to move and expand. take one side out and insulate it. Spray foam is best but bats of insulation would be fine too.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Let me see if I can clarify a bit.

The bedroom ceiling is T&G boards on top of 6"x8" solid wood beams (log house) with the beams spaced on 24" center.

Above a small portion of this downstairs bedroom is a crawl-in storage area. The storage area is off the upstairs bedroom. There are two bedrooms, one above each other. A small area off the upstairs bedroom has the small storage area.

Now, the storage area floor is foam pad with carpet on top of T&G boards (floor for storage area, ceiling for down bedroom). If you look up at the down bedrooms ceiling, it is the floor for the up bedroom and storage area.

The issue is, the storage area is not conditioned space. Not really an "attic" space since the walls and ceiling (roof) is insulated with batting. THe problem is, the colder air in the storage area naturally penetrates the carpet and foam pad into the down bedrrom making it colder than it should be.

What I would like to is provide some type of added insulating value to the storage area floor. Adding batting is not an option to either the storage floor or down bedroom ceiling.

If caulk or silicone is out, what about a vapor barrier, similar to what is used on wood decking prior to installing hardwood flooring?

Consider this product
    http://www.radiantguard.com/

If you were to place any type of vapor barrier on the floor side of the storage area this wouldn't help. You want the vapor barrier on the warm side to prevent any warm moist air from the bedroom reaching the colder air in the storage.

The problem is the warm air from the bedroom rises and will end up in the colder space between the 6x8 beams and condense . This is the problem area .... the space between the ceiling of the bedroom and the floor of the storage area .... that's needs to be addressed. If you apply a vapor barrier to the cold zone ( floor of the storage area) this will create an issue of trapping the moisture and condensing in this space.

Options may be to apply a continuous sealed vapor barrier to the bedroom ceiling then cover with drywall then add insulation to the storage area.

Or

Apply rigid foam sheets to the ceiling ... taping the joints with house wrap tape ... then cover this with 5/8 drywall. This will help as a vapor barrier , add insulation value and provide a continuous thermo break.

Or

Remove the floor boards in the storage area .... apply the continuous vapor barrier from that side. This will more difficult to do since you will be applying it on the joists then down that joist .... across the attic side of the ceiling then up the next joist .... and so on ... continuously covering the area and making sure it's completely sealed.
    Then add insulation and reapply the floor of the storage area.

Or

Remove the floor of the storage area and apply paper backed insulation in the spaces between each joist. Apply a generous bead of caulk to the area where the securing tabs of the insulation will be fastened. Then reapply the floor of the storage area.

Or

Have spray foam insulation applied in the space between the ceiling of the bedroom and the floor of the attic.

Hope this helps.

As I suspected, this is getting into difficult territory.

One other thought I had. There are HVAC supply and return ducts (one of each) passing through the storage space into the attic for upstairs.

One thought is to seal the storage space (no more than 60ft) and tap of the supply to condition the storage space. This would be easier than removing floor boards, etc.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Thanks for the ideas and web link.

Bad idea ... that will reduce the air flow to the other room(s) by simply tapping into the HVAC lines. ... the ducts would have to be properly sized to accomodate the extra air flow needed.

Also if you do this the walls and ceiling of the storage area will have to properly sealed to maintain the conditioned air preventing heat loss/gain and humidity issues.

Dido with canuk