+ Reply to Thread

Default Low water pressure

This is driving me crazy. We bought our house last year and have noticed pretty much from the get-go that we have very low water pressure. When you flush a toilet or run the kitchen sink or washing machine while someone is taking a shower, the shower basically comes to a trickle and when it does come back on, the pressure is lower than when you started. It's very inconvenient and annoying. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, what is a quick fix or any fix for that matter?

Default Re: Low water pressure

I had a similar problem in my house. My house is 100 years old, so I ended up replacing all the piping in the basement. The cost was about $2k. Doing this removed old pipe that ran horizontal along the basement ceiling and therefore had excessive sediment buildup. I did not replace the vertical piping that ran up to the upper floors, as that would have been much more difficult and expensive. Replacing the horizontal piping was extremely effective for me. I no longer have pressure problems.

Are you on city water or well water?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

We are on city water. I have contemplated calling the city in, but wanted to see if others experienced similar problems. Our house is also approximately 100 years old.

Here's a couple of thoughts to consider.
    1]You may have old galvanized plumbing that is pretty well cloged.
    2]The size of the feeds may be to small that is " pipe where it shoul;d be 3/4" etc.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I was looking down in the basement the other day and it is all 1/2" copper pipe coming in from the meter. It just seems very small for a two story house, but this is the first house I've owned. Should I think about replacing the pipes with a larger diameter or just ask a professional (who will be honest I'm sure-tongue in cheek) and do whatever they suggest.

I have to fix this problem. It's driving me crazy and annoying as all heck! How much should a job like this cost approximately?
    I have a single family, 1 1/2 bathrooms (1/2 on 1st, full on 2nd flr), the kitchen w/ sink & dishwasher and washer and hot water heater in basement. Just a ballpark figure (give or take $500 I figure). All replies are most welcomed.
    Last edited by Rlgdguy; 01-14-2008 at 03:53 PM.

1/2" copper pipe coming in from the meter
    Typically the water service from the street to the meter should be 3/4 or the less common 5/8 inch diameter. These will provide a good flow and pressure of supply water to the house.
    The outlet side of the meter may have 1/2 inch pipe though for a second level it sometimes is a good idea to have a 3/4 coming from the meter and then tap off the feeds with 1/2 inch further into the house. Ideally it would be best to run a 3/4 inch line from the meter to a manifold and from there the 1/2 inch branch lines would run off the manifold.

You may consider having a pressure gage put on the the pipe at the meter to determine what the pressure is also determining what the flow (gpm) is being supplied to the house.

Hope this helps.