+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs down Wall Insulation - North Florida Cracker Historic Renovation

Hello,

Just started the restoration of a historic 1930 North Florida Cracker island home. Original exterior clapboard has been covered over the years with an asphalt like shingle and then stucco. Currently in the process of removing both and the original clapboard is in surprisingly good shape. Shingles and stucco were no doubt put on to make the house warmer during the cooler months since the original clapboard is attached directly to the studs and there is no insulation. No heat or air in these homes, and it does cool off a bit here in North Florida in Dec and Jan. Clapboard attached to studs on one side and ĺ inch pine wanes coating and wallboard to the other. No vapor barrier, lath, or substrate in between.

Bringing it back to original does not exclude adding heat and air so it needs to be properly insulated. My question is in regard to options for insulating the walls. I donít want to remove interior walls at this point. I was hoping I could blow in insulation, but that seems like a bad idea given the fact that there is nothing between the clapboard and studs. Is my only option to remove the original clapboard, insulate from the outside, cover with OSB and vapor barrier/wrap, and then replace the clapboard? I would also rather not cover the original clapboard again. Would not be much of an historic redo if I did. Are there any products, or other options that I could use to insulate that would keep me from having in to remove the original clapboard or interior walls? Itís not a big house, but Iíd rather avoid removing three outside layers and reinstalling one. Original clapboard is a coped ĺ inch board that sits flat against the studs and is milled so it under and overlaps at top and bottom.

Thanks.
    Joe
    North Florida

Default Re: Wall Insulation - North Florida Cracker Historic Renovation

call this guy Mike Hendricks (386-690-3598)he is a spe******t in coatings and in Florida.
    tell him I sent you to him so he isn't confused
    www.infraredsurvey.com
    He is doing some work for me in Fl on a mold problem I won't say which hotel chain.