+ Reply to Thread

Default Tricky attic insulation question

I live in a house built in 1908. It's a frame stucco two story home. I recently had the attic access moved from a closet (I had to take it over for a bathroom expansion) to the hallway with pull down stairs. The good news is that I can now easily use the large attic space (enough to stand up straight) for storage (There's actually a window up there too, at the front of the house - strange for a previously inaccessable attic except through a closet ceiling trap door ).

There is currently blown in insulation in the attic, but it has settled and is now only a few inches deep. Here's the tricky part. I want to put plywood down for a floor for storage, but I would also like to add insulation. The joists in the attic are 2x4, which does not provide much hight to add insulation and put down a floor.

Should I build up the floor by creating a sort of "wall frame" using 2x6's but leave it on it's side, then fill in insulation and then put down plywood ? Or would this be too much weight? Has anyone encountered this sort of issue before? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Tricky attic insulation question

Should I build up the floor by creating a sort of "wall frame" using 2x6's but leave it on it's side, then fill in insulation and then put down plywood ? Or would this be too much weight? Has anyone encountered this sort of issue before? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    You say there are 2x4 ceiling joists ... you might want to re-think using the attic for storage.....they are just the right size for holding up the ceiling.

If you wish to use the attic for storage you should sister at least 2x6 or maybe 2x8 to the existing joists.... this will provide the strength needed for extra weight from the plywood decking and items you want to put up there.
    This would also allow the extra depth for adding more insulation.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply Canuk. I thought it was unusual as well, that the celing joists are 2x4. It's quite a spacious attic, but the space is wasted since access was difficult - through a closet, but I now that I have stairs, I planned to use it. I desperately need additional storage space, so I guess I will have to look into sistering the additional taller joists as you suggest. I actually didn't think of that, so thanks for the suggestion. That's probably the safe way to go.

You're welcome.

Yep ... safety first .... you don't want the stuff in the attic to come crashing down on you while in bed.