+ Reply to Thread

Default Washing machine drain filters

Does anyone have experience using a washing machine drain filter? Modern washers don't have manually-cleanable lint filters, so my drain gets clogged with lint. I want to somehow put a cleanable strainer between my washer drain hose and my drainage system, which empties into a septic tank. I have read about a couple of products -- Lint Luv-R and Filtrol 160 -- which may work when installed between the washer drain hose and the stand pipe.
    Does anyone have any other solutions? Does anyone have specific experience with these products?

Default Re: Washing machine drain filters

Hello,
    I saw your posting and I had the same problem. New washers today have no filtration. My new Kenmore is draining directly to a standpipe just as my old one did BUT it had a basic filter to catch towel strings and whatever.

This is how I "fixed" the problem. Go to this website
    www.repairclinic.com and use part search number 541811. This is called a "Washer Drain Protector". $12.36 plus shipping is all.
    Fits into top of pipestand, washer drain hose connects to the side. It has a removable "comb" like filter that catches the strings and stuff and not going down your main drain.

This is somewhat like the old washer used only larger.

Hey! It does the job!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Hello,
    This is how I "fixed" the problem. Go to this website
    www.repairclinic.com and use part search number 541811. This is called a "Washer Drain Protector". $12.36 plus shipping is all.
    Fits into top of pipestand, washer drain hose connects to the side. It has a removable "comb" like filter that catches the strings and stuff and not going down your main drain.

This is somewhat like the old washer used only larger.

Hey! It does the job!
    Ummm, no it doesn't. I followed this advice and ordered the filter suggested -- it is absolutely worthless for screening out anything smaller than 1/8" of an inch. After several loads there might be a couple strings of yarn dangling on the comb -- all the stuff that normally clogs up my pipes (dog hair, synthetic fibers, cotton fluff, etc.) ran right through. Absolutely worthless. I'm going to have to give the Fitrol 160 or Lint LUV-R a try next.

try nylon or aluminum lint traps from do it best hardware. they are like sock that you put over the washer drain line, and work very well. when they get about 1/2 blocked (about 1 1/2 to 2 months), just pull it off & replace. we have been using these for years, and i think they work very well
    about $2.50 to $3.00 for a 2 pack

try this link
    http://doitbest.com/Washing+machine+...sku-441899.dib

Here is a good trick I use. Get some of your wife's old nylon stockings and cut the leg off. Each leg will make about 6 filters. Attach it to the hove with a zip tie. When it gets to where it's getting hard for water to drain through, replace it. I have been using this for years. You DO NOT want the lint etc to enter the septic tank.Now I have my drain hose affixed to the wash sink to drain rather into the stand pipe. You can't use this method if it drains into the stand pipe, it will overflow.
    Last edited by mford; 03-05-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Just try to install a filter between your washer and the drainage pipes. That's what I do with my Whirlpool parts and I keep it all under control easily. Every now and then you'll have to check for the clogs and remove them, there's no other way.