+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting near Carpet

What is the best "masking" method for keeping paint off carpet when painting baseboards. Thanks!

Default Re: Painting near Carpet

You can buy some long (about 3í) plastic strips at the home center in the paint department. They are a couple inches wide. You slide these under the baseboard so that your baseboards are in contact with the plastic strips and not the carpet. Make sure to overlap them a couple inches between pieces. When you paint try not to slop a lot of paint on the strip. Let the paint dry with the strips in place.

After the paint dries make sure you take a utility knife and lightly score between the baseboard and the plastic strips. Otherwise some of the paint will stick to the plastic and rip off your baseboard when you take the plastic strips out. But donít cut so aggressively that you slice through the plastic and possibly the carpet, too.

I used these at my former house and they worked great.

The key to painting base without glopping your carpet is to use some device to hold the carpet away from the base, such as a 10" or longer drywall taping knife, the plastic strips mentioned by Sherry, or even something as simple as a cereal box back. Then, with a dry brush - meaning NOT dripping with paint, you brush out the base with a thin coat and move on down the line. You should not leave behind so much paint that when you release the carpet from behind your protector that it immediately is drenched in wetness. You will need to do at least two coats, possibly more, but this method will be fast and efficient with the least amount of effort or materials. you could buy enough of the plastic protectors to go around the room or you could use masking tape in a similar manner, but you'd still have to install and remove the tape, and odds are that anything left behind to be removed after the paint dries will be so laden with paint that removal will not be a fun project.

I personally prefer the use of 2 inch masking tape. If you use the masking strips, you need enough to do the whole room and they must stay in place until the paint is dry least the carpet spring back into the wet paint and become glued to the baseboard.
    Also, the strips do not account for areas such as around door jambs or registers which are integral to the baseboard.

Spruce is correct about not flooding the edge with paint. You don't want to form a film between the baseboard and tape which is hard to break loose.

As a contractor, I always hated finding the carpet nap glued to the baseboard by some former painter. I would have to go around with a wide blade spackle knife trying to break the carpet free before I could protect it.