+ Reply to Thread

Default House wrap in the master suite

I own a 10 year old house in the Midwest, and the master bedroom is located on the second floor. In fact, it's the only room up stairs. A photo is attached below. The master suite is centered on the second floor, and bordered by attic space. I have great access to both sides and found that it is insulated, however it's freezing in the winter and warm in the summer.

Would applying house wrap to the area that I can get to help at all?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1010.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	495  

Default Re: House wrap in the master suite

Your attic access doors can be large source of heat loss or gain -insulate the doors first-also have a thermal infrared scan to see where your greatest heat loss is.The infrared camera can pin point the area.
    Find someone in your area.

www.infraredsurvey.com

House wrap won't help the situation.

Likely the way the walls and ceiling of the bedroom space are insulated is poorly done.

It's difficult to say from here as to how to improve things without knowing how the upstairs room is constructed and insulated.

For example .... if the walls are knee walls and have attic space on either side you may be able to apply sheets of rigid foam insulation to the attic side of the studs. This will increase the insulation but also provide a continuous thermo break to the studs. This help with preventing the cold from transferring through the studs.

The ceilings are more difficult since you likely don't have access to any kind of attic space. The problem here is that warm air rises and without proper insulation this will allow the heat to escape quicker in the cold weather and the heat to increase in the warm weather.

Thanks Canuk,

I never thought of using foam board. I'll put up the foam boards, I assume just like sheeting, and tape the seams.

I do have access to a portion of the ceiling. Should I put the foam boards up there as well?

Thanks again,

Quote Originally Posted by jakemidd View Post
    Thanks Canuk,

I never thought of using foam board. I'll put up the foam boards, I assume just like sheeting, and tape the seams.
    You're welcome.
    Taping the seams with a house wrap tape would be helpful.

I do have access to a portion of the ceiling. Should I put the foam boards up there as well?

Thanks again,
    Whatever you can do to increase the insulation without blocking the venting system that should be in place. The foam sheets would be helpful covering fiberglass bats ( if that's what is in the ceiling ) since the insulating performance of fiberglass is reduced in moving air.

Good luck.