+ Reply to Thread

Default beadboard over popcorn ceiling?

I am moving into a new (old) home in a couple of weeks and am looking for a quick and inexpensive way to cover a popcorn ceiling in the dining room. I was considering installing beadboard paneling directly over the current finish, but my husband is concerned that this wouldn't be a good idea. Has anyone tried this? Any advice? Thanks! Amanda

Default Re: beadboard over popcorn ceiling?

Usually the best way to get rid of popcorn is to sc**** it off. It usually comes off very easily with a big sc****r of some kind. Do it before anything is moved in because it makes a big mess. After you're done you simply paint. Now if you really want the beadboard you will have to find the trusses or ceiling joists and nail or screw it into them.

Default Re: beadboard over popcorn ceiling?

I don't think I would sc****. I was reading that most popcorn ceilings before the 1978 contained asbestos.

Wink Response to beadboard over popcorn ceiling?

I know this comes late but popcorn can be bad-wear a respirator if you decide to sc****. They make one-check orange big-box store for one that is a about a foot wide and it has a catcher to place a trash bag into. Catches 85-95% of the popcorn. Don’t do it man!!!

I would say not necessary but if you have can lights you might want to adjust them for the addition of the bead board so as to keep all bulb heat within the can and not expose the bead board to it. Use stud finder-will knock off some popcorn using it- and mark ceiling, cut and nail or screw them up.