+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Easy Under Cabinet Lighting

I am looking for ideas on an easy way to instal under cabinet lighting. I don't like the idea of the battery powered kinds. And I don't like the idea of trying to rewire anything either. Does anyone know of any magical product out here that will help?
    Or, if anyone has any tips on an easy way to wire one with a light switch?
    Last edited by zen homer; 01-03-2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Adding Question

Default Re: Easy Under Cabinet Lighting

Well, you don’t like batteries and you don’t like wires…………… I don’t think anyone has figured out a way to throw electricity through the air quite yet……….. LOL.

Don’t know, your easiest option might be to use a low voltage type that uses a remote mount transformer to supply the fixtures. As, it would be easier to run the wiring to the fixtures.

LED seems to be on the current wave crest and also seems to be here to stay for a while. You might look at those options.

Well, it involves wires, so you may not like it, but I installed the Kichler linear low voltage xenon lights recently. They were not too hard to install, although I was also doing other work at the time so it was easy to install the switch and run the wires to the top of the cabinet for the transformer. The low voltage wire was not too hard either. I used 5W bulbs and they give off plenty of light for my use.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    Well, you don’t like batteries and you don’t like wires…………… I don’t think anyone has figured out a way to throw electricity through the air quite yet……….. LOL.
    You know , I read somewhere that Nikoli Tesla had been working on that before his death .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla
    Last edited by djohns; 01-03-2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: add link

I'm thinking Vandergraph generator.

Nikola Tesla...............................

I think I have read any and everything ever published about Nikola. He had some fascinating theories.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    Nikola Tesla...............................

I think I have read any and everything ever published about Nikola. He had some fascinating theories.
    Brother , Tesla made Thomas Edison look like an amateur .

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    Well, it involves wires, so you may not like it, but I installed the Kichler linear low voltage xenon lights recently. They were not too hard to install, although I was also doing other work at the time so it was easy to install the switch and run the wires to the top of the cabinet for the transformer. The low voltage wire was not too hard either. I used 5W bulbs and they give off plenty of light for my use.
    Thanks, this is kind of what I am looking for. I don't mind running the wires but I don't exaclty want to cut big holes in my newly painted dryway either. I guess that is more what I am going for than the Tesla stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by zen homer View Post
    I guess that is more what I am going for than the Tesla stuff.
    Sorry . It's what we do around here . It's called comradery . Some people have it , others can only wish .

http://www.all-lights.com/IBS/Simple...rchy/0005.html

Here is a link to show what it looks like. I bought mine from a local electrical supply house rather than from the web. Figure out the wattage of the bulbs and how many you will use to size the transformer. 5 watt bulbs work for us, you can place them anywhere along the wire track you wish (in our case, more in cutting board areas, less under the low hanging microwave cabinet).

I made one hole in my drywall for the "old work" switch box. Because I was doing a double oven at the same time I was able to run the supply line for the lights to the basement at the same time I was running the cable for the oven behind the oven cabinet. That determined where I placed the switch since it was easiest to fish the wire right next to the oven cabinet. I did not cut any holes in the drywall to run the low voltage wire from the transformer which sits on top of the cabinets. I ran it on the inside back corner to get it to the bottom of the cabinet and stayed on the bottom of the cabinets from that point to the sink location.

The only tricky part was getting it across the break in the uppers where the sink is located. I went through the inside of the cabinet to get to the top and then back down on the other side. I used a 5' piece of molded plastic from the big box store to conceal the low voltage wire. It came with the sticky back tape on it. It runs across the wall at the same level as the top window trim. The window valence hides 95% of this plastic and I will be painting it the same color as the wall to blend it further. You may want to come up with something more concealed than I did. Hope this helps