+ Reply to Thread

Default Old toilet flange without bolts

I'm replacing the toilet on the third floor of my 85-year-old house. I've removed the old toilet and sc****d most of the old wax ring away from the existing flange. The flange and soil pipe look like cast iron(?) and look like they are in great condition. The flange is also flush, resting on top of the wood floor.

I'm unsure how the flange is connected to the pipe because it looks like all one piece to me. I've tried scraping away at the pipe to look for any type of joint, but it still looks like one piece to me.

The problem I have is that the flange only has four holes with no discernible way to feed a bolt up through them (I've attached a picture). Besides that, the four holes aren't located in the proper places: Instead of oriented at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock, they are located at 1, 5, 7, and 11 o-clocks. Even if you could put bolts in the holes, a new toilet wouldn't line up properly.

The old toilet was "held" to the floor by two, rusty lag screws, and it appears as if somebody had drilled a hole in the flange to accept the lag screw.

I'm not sure how to attach a new toilet to the flange/floor?

-Brad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ToiletFlange.jpg 
Views:	608 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	494  

Default Re: Old toilet flange without bolts

You might want to consider one of these http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51...t--645944.aspx

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Old toilet flange without bolts

I second the "twist & set" closet flange recommendation. These are the best things to ever happen to toilets. Since you have a wood subfloor, I would twist the flange in til its tight & lined up at 3 & 9 o'clock, then fasten it to the subfloor for extra strength.