+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Can I paint silicone caulk?

My husband installed some new baseboard. I 'helped' and accidentally used silicone caulk to fill the spaces between the baseboard and wall. So when I primed, the primer doesn't 'stick'. It's a water based primer and I wonder if oil based primer or some other product would prevent us from having to remove the caulk and start over with vinyl product. Any tips - or is it a do-over?

Default Re: Can I paint silicone caulk?

Pimer is made to stick to surfaces that paint may have a problem with. So if primer won't stick....... Sorry but I would say you have a do over.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Melissa, for sure the water based primers will not work. Even the more agressive primers such as Kilz or Bin do not do well on it. Mechanical removal is your best answer - sorry

If it is any consulation, I once heard a woman at the paint store complaining that her "painters" had caulked all her new crown moldings and trim with silicone caulk. My quiet thoughts at the time was, "I bet you took the low priced bid!"

My wife and I used a paintable caulk to fix a corner seam that was cracking in our home. That worked fine, we let it dry and used killz on it. I would check the caulk you used and see if it says paintable, if not, I think your out of luck. I would try to remove as much of the old stuff as you can and try something that it paintable.

Post Re: Can I paint silicone caulk?

Thanks for your replies....I figured it was a 'do - over' but thought I'd throw it out there. Fortunately it's not a large area and (even though I must seem home improvement impaired) am usually a pretty handy and helpful compliment to my husband who is great at home projects. It's seems like it's time to get out the matte knife and dig in....

Smile Re: Can I paint silicone caulk?

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaC View Post
    My husband installed some new baseboard. I 'helped' and accidentally used silicone caulk to fill the spaces between the baseboard and wall. So when I primed, the primer doesn't 'stick'. It's a water based primer and I wonder if oil based primer or some other product would prevent us from having to remove the caulk and start over with vinyl product. Any tips - or is it a do-over?
    Try using a white shellac it is a alcohol base type primer and should do the job.