+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Someones knocking and I cant find them

I have a quiet knocking, coming from somewhere in my house, I think we have located it to a corner of the house. I innitialy thought it was a knocking in my steam pipes (we have cast iron radiators) but not sure. It is not the typical ping I am used to when the radiators kick on, or the the metallic klangs, that we sometimes hear from the pipes. It seems a like a dence solid sound, knocking in succession, getting quicker as it goes along, then slowing, almost like knocking on my desk.

One of the times I heard this, the pipes were hot, the next time the pipes were cool. Any adivice would be great.

Thanks in advance.

- sam

Default Re: Someones knocking and I cant find them

Do you hear it when you run hot water from any fixture in the house? If that's the case, then it's merely the water pipe expanding and contracting as fresh hot water courses through it. The pipe is probably rubbing on a framing member during these expansion and contraction cycles. It's possible that it's a hot water/steam supply line for the heating system doing the same thing.

It actualy happens when no water is running, or atleast none that we know of (our toilet has a bit of a leak). I almost thought something was in the walls, but its between the floor and an exposed cieling, so there is no where for anything to be.

Here is the other issue. When I hear the sound I grab the steam pipe, but it still happens, and I can not feal any movement.

Thanks

You're not going to make this easy, are you ...

Is there a particular time of day or night that it occurs? What is in the room above where you suspect the noise originating? Have you called Ghostbuster's?

Ghostbusters is the next step. That or a wrecking ball

Living room is directly above, where we think the noise is coming from. What has me realy concerned is that this is the same corner in the house, that the chimeny flashing was leaking, and we had carpenter ants.

I have heard it in the evening, I have heard it in the morning, I have heard it in the middle of the night (I feel like Dr. Seuss.) Does not seem to be related to the boiler going on, or off. Rarely it is followed by a metallic snap or bang, Which I know is the pipes, thats what makes me believe it is the heating system.

I have these chrome silver bullet (what I believe to be blead valves on the radiators) but have not tried to blead them yet, will try that tonight, if I can figure out how, one of the guys in the office said it might help.

The joys of being a new home owner, can't call the landlord and say FIX IT.

Thanks again.

Have you checked your water heater ? Mine knocks like that . It's old and probably full of sediment .

We just had the furnice serviced. So I had written that off, but I will try to flush the system and see if that helps.

The waterheater is part of the furnace, we have hot water on demand, (sometimes)

Thanks

You said your toilet had a slow leak,,, thats your problem. the valve in the bottom of the tank is leaking water out, then the float slowly lets water in and stops several times in a second causing the water in the pipes to "knock" when it stops flowing. Fix the leaky toilet and that will stop the knocking.... Or you can just keep saying "Come in!!" all the time

hehe

Even if I cant hear the water running when the knocking happens?

I think raid25nd may have hit it.
    Can you turn off the tank fill for a while & see if it still happens?