+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Cracked plaster ceiling

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!!!

Our 99 year old home has a great deal of cracks in the plaster walls and the worst are in the ceilings. I know that plaster can be repaired but I need a hand in how to do the job properly. I enjoy doing the work myself and it seems that the kids take more pride in our home now if we all pitch in and do the work ourselves. The house has 9' ceilings through out and the worst of course is our family room.

Can any one of you great people out there give me a hand with how to do these cracked repairs? It would be greatly appreciated.
    I am quite handy with tools and how to use them so I don't have a problem there. Daddy raised a smart girl and taught me right.

Thanks in advance.

Cris

Default Re: Cracked plaster ceiling

Hey cris

To fix a crack in plaster
    1 make a V cut in the crack with a utility knife or the old style can opener with the point in front like this V.
    2 Brush out the dust
    3 Mix up some sandable setting type joint compound and start filling might take a couple coats and when it dries you can sand it and done

Hope this helps

plastrr385
    chris too!

Smile Re: Cracked plaster ceiling

Oh thank you so very much. I remember seeing a fix it for the cracks long ago but memory now fails me. lol I was looking yesterday and I have one crack that is starting to drop. Again thank you very much for the fix it, now my hubby gets to see what a real woman can do lol.

Cris

I suggest never raking out the cracks. When you do you will cut the fiber that is holding the plaster together. The most important thing to remember when repairing plaster is to stabilize the plaster then all you need to do is address the cosmetic issues.Just filling the crack after raking it out will allow the crack to reappear.

Well plastermaestro maybe I should quit giving advice cuz you seem to contradict everything I say.

Thank you both for your input. BUT If I do not rake out the crack how do I make the repair? I remember reading in TOH a few years ago about using sheetrock screws along the crack then using a bonding base. So in the mean time I do have a 4' crack that is starting to drop (maybe 1/16th inch). But I also have cracks in the creasing of the wall and ceiling and nice big squares
    that have cracked thru. Previous owner did some type of repair but cracks are coming right thru the *repair patch*. I'd really rather fix what I have than pull down and replace with sheetrock. Can I use sheet rock screws to at least hold up what has started to drop?

Thanks All,

Cris

Thank You.

I'm afraid that sheetrock screws in plaster may not work too hot.

Old plaster, being brittle, will sometimes just crack or buckle if you try to snug it up with drywall screws.

Some people recommend using special screws and washers for snugging up loose plaster. I have never used them, so I don't know what to say about them, except that you have to skim over the screws/washers to hide them after you put them in.

In my years of work with old plaster, I have had good success using drywall tape and hot mud for plaster cracks. If plaster is sagged or bulging, I usually take it out and fill the gap with thin sheetrock and screws. Fill around the edges, tape and top, etc.

This is a labor intensive project, since if your repairs are extensive, you will probably have to skim coat to blend everything together (using joint compound: regular or hot mud) and then you sand smooth and paint, or apply new texture.

My website has extensive information on how to do this.

Now, you can see why people often opt for sheetrock over the old plaster, where possible. Quite a bit of work, whatever choice you make.

Smile Re: Cracked plaster ceiling

Plasterfellow,

Thank you very much!! I did in fact check out your site and now have it in my faves for future goto. After reading about the sheetrock I remember now what was said for patching plaster walls and ceilings. Thank you again, you have answered many of my questions.

Cris
    Perfection is achieved by many seasons of trial and error.

I just tried plaster washers from Charles Street Supply.

I was very impressed with how they sucked the plaster back to the lath. I have not mudded them yet, so I can't comment on that part of the process.