+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default New window in existing wood siding wall

I have a detached garage I am trying to fix up and insulate in hopes to turn it into a workshop/home office. I am also trying to add two new windows in one of the existing walls. The construction is (probably cedar and approximately 1" thick) wood cove siding directly over 2X4 stud walls. I've searched around and found very little information on how to correctly install a new window in this type of situation. I have a couple of theories on how I might approach it, but would prefer to consult with some experts before proceeding. Because I am on a fairly strict budget, the windows will probably be 2'-8" x 4'-4" vinyl window from a Home Depot or Lowes type store. Any insight or guidance on procedures, flashing and other consideration is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Default Re: New window in existing wood siding wall

Well this tread turned into a big dud. It's no wonder when you have a forum overrun with spam threads and a barely audible support group... not to mention the monitors could give a rat's fart about actually doing anything about it. Next time I won't bother asking this old house.

Default Re: New window in existing wood siding wall

Quote Originally Posted by ether View Post
    Well this tread turned into a big dud. It's no wonder when you have a forum overrun with spam threads and a barely audible support group... not to mention the monitors could give a rat's fart about actually doing anything about it. Next time I won't bother asking this old house.
    Great post and you make some great points. I am not a nail beater so can not provide you with a reply to your question. But, there are some great nail beaters here who are more than happy to offer great advice.....

Keep in mind that because of all of the forum catagories most of the regulars only track new posts. Because of all of the SPAM! here your post can get so buried that it next to impossible to find.