+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Bath fan, recessed cans, new drywall, how to cut out holes

That's a great idea. We did more prep work last night and didn't get to hanging any drywall on ceiling. But tonight for sure. I like the concept of putting something on the recessed can or fan and touching the drywall to the surface to get an outline of where to cut. After your suggestion of crayons I thought of using an ink pad or something else instead to get a better print on the drywall paper. Crayon may take more work to get it to mark the paper. But the concept in general sounds very good especially if you want to get a more exact fit if you don't do this a lot.

Default Re: Bath fan, recessed cans, new drywall, how to cut out holes

We did try ink then lipstick on the lips of recessed fan and can but it didn't work at all for the fan since the heat duct drops a little lower than the lips so the lipstick never did touch the drywall. The can did not in fact have a lip as my husband told me so there wasn't much of a surface to put lipstick on. It sort of made some marks but all in all it didn't work well for our situation. We decided to buy a Roto Zip and boy is that thing slick and made the job go so much smoother. We are doing a small bathroom with all sorts of issues so getting the dry wall in place is a bit of a circus act so avoiding the whole step of putting lipstick on the drywall surface and then taking it down again to cut out was a lot of extra work.
    Thanks to all who responded.