+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Painting plaster ceiling

My bathroom ceiling is plaster and the paint is peeling. I'm stripping off the old paint right now. There appears to be areas that were patched with plaster (?) on top of the origional paint/plaster. In some scattered areas the paint is peeling down to the origional plaster. Do I have to remove all of this down to the origional plaster or do I just need to remove where it's peeling? I've tried to remove down to the origional plaster but it's really difficult if not impossible.

Also, what kind of primer and paint should I use when this is all finished? I plan to install a ceiling fan before I paint the plaster. I'm sure that will help with peeling issues.

Default Re: Painting plaster ceiling

Generally paint reals because moisture gets in behind it. Add to that the fact that the ceiling has been patched makes me wonder if you don't have a leak. If you can get to the attic I would check that first. If the patch is tight and smooth you should not have to remove it. I personally like KILZ oil based primer.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks! You must have been in my house before! There was a leak about 9 years ago from the ac unit in the attic just before we moved in. I fixed the leak. However part of the ceiling had a really bad crack where most of the leak was. I took all that down and put dry wall up in that area. I figured I'd go ahead and re-do the whole ceiling while I was at it and do it right the first time. That's where I found I needed to strip the old paint first. Once I get the ceiling done I'm going after the walls where the paint is also flaking off.

Anyone know what is the best brand/type of paint to use in the bathroom?

I prefer using and oil base paint in a wet area. Flat for ceilng, semi gloss for walls, and high gloss for woodwork. My prefered bran Is Sherwin Willams.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

With regards to the sagging ceiling, was it any particular washer you used to screw the ceiling back to the lath. Also I have heard that you can glue the plaster back to the lath if it has come off using PVA or similar bonding agent. Has anyone tried this?
    hotel developer Hidden Content has bought the two-and-half-star portland square hotel

Default Painting plaster ceiling

I have also been facing the same problem but using following quoted instructions i solved out my issue.

Generally paint reals because moisture gets in behind it. Add to that the fact that the ceiling has been patched makes me wonder if you don't have a leak. If you can get to the attic I would check that first. If the patch is tight and smooth you should not have to remove it. I personally like KILZ oil based primer.

Thanks and Regards

I have also facing same problem. does epoxy will work for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    My bathroom ceiling is plaster and the paint is peeling. I'm stripping off the old paint right now. There appears to be areas that were patched with plaster (?) on top of the origional paint/plaster. In some scattered areas the paint is peeling down to the origional plaster. Do I have to remove all of this down to the origional plaster or do I just need to remove where it's peeling? I've tried to remove down to the origional plaster but it's really difficult if not impossible.

Also, what kind of primer and paint should I use when this is all finished? I plan to install a ceiling fan before I paint the plaster. I'm sure that will help with peeling issues.
    impossible is nothing!!!
    I think you should really try to get it all down no mercy..
    otherwise you'll be left with ugly leftovers

Thumbs up Re: Painting plaster ceiling

You should get all of the loose paint off and not just cover it up like it sounds like someone may have done before. If there are areas that just won't come off, try using spackle past or dry wall mud to feather the edges smooth. An important thing to do with plaster, once you have it sc****d down, is to prime it with an oil base primer.(something like Kilz or Zinnser is fine and dries fast) Latex primers are easier as far as clean up and odor but they actually are putting water back onto the bare plaster and will disolve it, causing the paint to peel again. An oil base primer will be a protective layer from moisture as well as sealing the plaster so you can use latex paint for the finish coat.
    Once the primer is dry, you might want to tweek the smoothness of the ceiling where you had to sc**** it down. You can use dry wall mud or spackle paste for that and sand smooth and spot prime those areas.

If you find any cracks in the plaster after you have the ceiling sc****d, they need to be taped with dry wall tape. The best type is a fiberglass mesh that is self adhesive, saving a step. Do this after you prime the ceiling and mud over the tape to cover the mesh pattern, probably twice, and sand the edges smooth. Otherwise the cracks will usually come back through. It's alot of work for a bathroom ceiling but is the process I've done many times with great results.
    Last edited by J Roper; 10-30-2008 at 07:36 PM.

Use a Kliz oil-based primer

--Mark, a Painter in Minnetonka, MN