+ Reply to Thread

Default Cutting through brick

I will be installing a basement bathroom ventilation fan. In order to vent to the outside, I will need to go through the brick exterior of the house. What is the best way to drill / cut through the brick exterior ?

Default Re: Cutting through brick

Scribe the circumference of your exhaust vent onto the brick, then using a masonry bit cut a series of holes as close together as possible, following the scribe line. Then using a cold chisel chisel the remainder of the material out of your hole. Once the exhaust duct is in place, caulk and secure the exterior duct and then spray foam from the interior side to seal.

Yep ... the method that A.Spruce suggeted will indeed work.

Holes can be cut into these using a core bit which is a circular drum ( almost resembling a hole saw minus the cutting teeth ) with the tip coated with diamonds for cutting masonry.

If you want to DIY you may be able to rent a core bit and the drill from a tool rental place. The advantage of using the core bit is the hole will be clean , round , accurately sized and relatively quick.

Another way is to use a hammer drill with a masonry drill bit making several holes around a traced outline then hammer and chisel out the center. This method will be rough and messy , depending on the integrity of the brick work may leave repairs needed to surrounding bricks.

There are options hiring someone to make the hole for you.

For example:
    - someone who does brick work , if repairs are needed they would be able to do it at the time ... one stop shopping.
    - Heating contractors
    - some plumbers
    - company that specializes in core drilling

Hopefully this helps.
    Last edited by canuk; 01-01-2008 at 02:49 PM.

You might want to check with your local tool rental, they may have a masonry drill or hole saw made for just this purpose.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    You might want to check with your local tool rental, they may have a masonry drill or hole saw made for just this purpose.
    Jack
    I knew I had neglected to mention something ...

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    I knew I had neglected to mention something ...
    Sometimes our minds don't work to well the morning after the night before!
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Sometimes our minds don't work to well the morning after the night before!
    Jack
    Oof! Been there!

have u tried using a hole saw? I know Tool-Wise sell a good amount of them for good prices.

For a video example of the drill & chisel method, check out the porch light installation in this episode of Ask This Old House.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I'm gonna guess he got that hole drilled in the last 4 years....