+ Reply to Thread

Default Front Loading washers

Does anyone know why, since most laundry rooms have the plumbing for the washer on the right and the dryer vent on the left, even in new homes, why are the new front loading washers designed to be on the left and their matching driers on the right?

Default Re: Front Loading washers

Hmmm . My connections are just the opposite . Dryer on the right , plumbing on the left . Never thought about it .

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    Hmmm . My connections are just the opposite . Dryer on the right , plumbing on the left . Never thought about it .
    I have only met a couple of people that have this arraignment. I move a lot in my 20 years in the Navy and I don't recall ever seeing this for myself. My daughter just bought a new house (brand new) and it has the plumbing on the right, vent on the left.

Every display I've seen in a store says the doors are not reversible. I don't know if they can be ordered reversed. I'm not in the market for a new washer and drier right now, but if I do shopping for a new set, the current arrangement would be a deal breaker for me. I'm getting too old to buy things that don't fit, that includes appliances and shoes.

Facing the user side , plumbing is on the left . Dryer vent on the right . Come to think of it , my previous house was configured the same way .

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    Facing the user side , plumbing is on the left . Dryer vent on the right . Come to think of it , my previous house was configured the same way .
    My current house ('97-ish) is plumbed left, last house ('83-ish) was plumbed right. My suspicion is that the way things are placed has more to do with proximity to DWV lines, supply lines, and exterior venting, more than a builder being cognizant of the typical washer/dryer layout. Just a guess, however.
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 01-01-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Pluming in my house is in the center of the washer space and my wife's cloths line will work right to left or left to right.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Jack, now you're just being difficult!

My suspicion is that the way things are placed has more to do with proximity to DWV lines, supply lines, and exterior venting, more than a builder being cognizant of the typical washer/dryer layout.
    I would agree with this.

The conventional logic is since many of the dryers .....at a time not that long ago .... have the door open to the right. So having the washer on the left accommodated removing the items from the washing machine to the dryer easier without the obstacle of the dryer door being in the way.

I just bought a front load washer and dryer - checked every brand I could find in the area and the washers all open from the right - the hinges are on the left as you look at the washer. The dryer doors are changeable - but not the washers - due to the tight seal necessary. the best suggestion i have had is to hope the water and drain lines are long enough and the vent can be arranged so the units can be moved from washer on the right to the left. We are working with a 2nd story installation in a laundry closet in a brand new house. I did find a neat site with a dryer box that can be inserted into the wall to give more space and less crunch to the vent. I am right now waiting for the installers to come back and see if this will work. I have lived in 5 houses in the last 10 years and all the plumbing in them has been on the right or in the center - bless the plumber who puts the plumbing in the center! My husband is much more irate over this than I am - laundry rooms are always inconvenient so just work around it...