+ Reply to Thread

Default Have you seen this hinge pin?

I'm having a lot of trouble finding a replacement hinge pin for our kitchen exterior door. The house was built in 1990, but all pins I find in the stores are too skinny and just rattle around. The internet hasn't offered any options, either. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dimensions: Length 4 1/8", Head width 1/2", pin end width 9/32"

Here's a pic for those visually inspired:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	481

Thank you!

Default Re: Have you seen this hinge pin?

If you're not having any luck at a big box, try an Ace Hardware or a door hardware supplier, the latter will definitely have what you need. Take your existing pin with you to match up to the new one.

No luck. I had done all that before, but tried again, just to be sure. Apparently, hinge pins are so cheap nowadays that they just include them (permanently!) with the new hinges. But I don't want to take off the old hinge and put a new one in.

So. If anyone has seen a hinge pin like I mentioned at a salvage store or ******, please let me know. Thank you.

If that's the case, and the pin will fit the old hinge properly, buy the new hinge, swap the pin and toss the rest into the recycle bin. Cheaper and easier than driving all over town looking for a pin only. If that is an antique/old hinge pin, then it's possible you won't find a replacement and will have to resort to a vintage hardware shop for a replacement.

Try www.vandykes.com/ who is a supplier of restoration hardware.

Most if not all manufactures will stamp their products. That might provide a clue

Success!

I followed Ernie's advice and found the door manufacturer's name on the inside of the hinge (Therma-Tru). I did some Googling and found the company and emailed them my plight.

I got a response right away and the representative sent me not one, but three(!) new hinge pins, for FREE! I just got them today and pounded the missing one in and it fits like a, well, a hinge pin. Excellent!

Thank you everyone for all your helpful advice. I spun my wheels over this for a loooong time and now that it's resolved, I can move onto other household projects! Yay!

Thanks for returning with an update. Glad we were able to help.

It's nice to know that some companies still do business that way .