+ Reply to Thread

Default Interior dutch door?

Can anyone recommend a place I can get an Interior dutch door?

I would like to install a dutch door at the entrance to the basement. The basement tends to have poor ventilation and gets over heated. Being able to open half the door would help with both of these, and keep our cat out of the basement.

Thanks!

david

Default Re: Interior dutch door?

You really think that a half door is an obstacle to a cat ?
    Maybe one that is old and crippled . Why not some type of screen door instead ?

Quote Originally Posted by fallingrock View Post
    Can anyone recommend a place I can get an Interior dutch door?

I would like to install a dutch door at the entrance to the basement. The basement tends to have poor ventilation and gets over heated. Being able to open half the door would help with both of these, and keep our cat out of the basement.

Thanks!

david
    I've never "bought" one, I've always made my own. If you are reasonably handy and have an existing door on this basement entrance, you can too. I can walk you through it if you'd like. For a pre-made door, look in the phone book under "doors and millwork" for a door retailer, who specializes in doors and trim. A company such as this should be able to order or make the door to your specifications. I would warn against a big box store, since they tend to be unable to comprehend anything beyond what is on their computer screen or store shelf. I tend to agree with DJ, however, in that cats aren't usually deterred by a 3' jump, particularly if they're accustomed to these leaping heights on a regular basis (such as dinner time on the washer and dryer or many cat condo's ).

ours can go straight to the top of the fridg

Replace the door with a screen door with a self storing top glass, that way it can be completely shut off when desired.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Many years ago my stepfather cut off the top part of the basement door... probably to keep a dog up or down. I have been thinking about making a dutch door for an interior bathroom so that I can get both the light from the south-facing window and the heat from the baseboard into the adjacent hall.

I'm thinking that just cutting the door and adding some hinges on the edges and a closer for the two parts would work. I've also thought about putting in a translucent glass door, but this would not provide the heat.

Any comments?

We had a similar problem. Our heat source (pellet stove) was in the living room, but we wanted to keep our dog out of the downstairs bedroom because we had small caged pets in there. We wanted to make sure the room stayed warm, so keeping the door closed was not an option.

I found a product ****** called a secret screen. It's a retractable screen that attaches to the top of the door, but is very inobtrusive when it's open. It can be opened from either side.

We've had it for a few years now and have been very happy with the results. It has kept the dogs out of the room while allowing the warm air in.

Don't know if this forum will let me post a link or not, but I'll try below. If not, you can google secret screen and you'll find it.

One tip: get the screen that is black and white stripes. It's a lot easier to see it when it's down so that you won't accidentally walk through it.

http://www.secretscreen.com/

--Susie