+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Framing A New Interior Room

I Have A 12 X 10 Room (dining Room) That Has Three Outside Walls That Are Cinderblock. I Had A Roof Leak And I Ripped Out The Old Sheetrock Because Of Water Damage. The Roof Over That Is A Rubber Roof, And It Does Have Slight Pitch To It. From The Street It Appears To Be A Flat Roof. I Repaired The Existing Leak. The Room Is Extremely Cold Right Now Without Any Walls Being Up. I Found That There Was No Insulation Whatsoever Between The Sheetrock And Cinderblock. This Is A Problem Throughout The Whole House. This House Was Built In 1949 A Cap Cod Style Home Was How It Was Listed. The Room Is Pretty Much Down To The Cinderblock Right Now. I'm Not Really Sure How To Begin. I Want To Put 2x4's Instead Of The 1 Inch Strips That Were There. Is There A Formula For Framing The Room. I Have 3 Windows In This Room Also.

Before I Do Anything I'm Going To Run New Electrical Wire Into The Existing Outlets. There Is No Grounds On My Outlets Right Now. I Did Remove The Baseboards From That Room Until I Get The Drywall Back Up. I Also Want To Put A Drop Ceiling In This Room But, I'll Wait Until I Get The Drywall Up First.

Please Help!
    ROBERT E BECKER JR

Default Re: Framing A New Interior Room

Robert this sounds like something you have never done before so I would suggest that you purchase a book on framing or home remodeling. Since your walls won't be bearing, meaning holding any load, as long as your studs are 16" On Center and the openings around the windows and doors are adequate, you should be fine, but if you have never down this before there are some good books out there that can help.

Default Re: Framing A New Interior Room

I too have this problem, a 1947 house that was built with cinderblock of a lightweight variety. No insulation, just 1" lath that was nailed directly into the cinderblock and then some early drywall (with holes in it to accept plaster) and plaster.

We have removed the plaster and drywall "lath", and are looking to frame & insulate to whatever extent we can.

I have searched high and low for any books, etc.. about this situation, and have come up with NOTHING. Zero. zilch.

Nobody seems to be able to address this scenario.

In addition, unlike the original poster, I'm looking for a thinner wall, maybe 2-2.5", so that we don't diminish the square footage of the house too much. 4" wall + 8" block is a THICK wall!

Any ideas?

At this point, we're looking at ripping 2x4's and fastening them through the lath to the cinderblock with tapcon screw-in concrete anchors, then using 2" Dow polyisocyanurate insulation board in between these "studs".

Thanks!

-Clint