+ Reply to Thread

Thread: corner bead

Question corner bead

I have to replace a corner bead in my bathroom. It has rusted thru because it close to the shower stall/tub and the moisture somehow has caused this rust. I tried to sand it down and then used a shellac type treatment before repainting it. But after about a week the rust returned. I figure the only thing left is to replace the bead. Anything to be aware of before I begin?

Default Re: corner bead

they have non metalic corner bead at all home stores this will help stop your problem

this is true they do make a pvc corner bead two types one that is held on with staples and another that is mudded on. so it wouldn't rust. my biggest worry is if the corner bead is getting so much moisture that it is rusting, I would say that is an issue you still need to address. other wise you may end up with non rusted bead but maybe even mildew problems. if it isn't getting water directly on it from the shower my question would be are you running your exhaust fan while you are taking your shower? if not you should this will help reduce the humidity

I should have said held on with staples till mud is applied and dry