Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default removing old recessed bathtub valve

    Hello, I recently purchased a set of valve sockets and the 27/32 socket is slightly to big for the valve and the smallest one 21/32 is to small. I figured that most valves are pretty universal and that one of the sockets would fit. I was wrong. I'm trying to replace them as they both are leaking. Could I just use a vice grip and turn the who valve by clamping to the exterior stem or is there another alternative? What would a professional do? thanks, Owen

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: removing old recessed bathtub valve

    A professional will use anything at his disposal to remove the valve and repair/replace it. Mind you, a professional plumber will likely have any socket necessary to remove just about any valve nut he may encounter. He does this everyday, he's going to have the right tools. For a general contractor who replaces/repairs valves less frequently, he's more inclined to make other tools on his truck suffice, which could be anything from a standard set of sockets to channel lock pliers and a wrench, or whatever else is available.

    If you've had problems with this valve before and replacing seals is a regular thing, then investing in a socket that fits the nuts would be a good thing. However, if this is something that happens infrequently at best, use any combination of things at your disposal that will do the job without damage to the fixture.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts