+ Reply to Thread

Default Routing water line

Here in NC.
    The water meter is located on my property approx 3ft from my street.
    The black plastic 1/2" diamter PVC pipe connect from water meter to the house in a dumb way. It runs underneath the garage floor and exit to the right side of the garage.

I like to re-route and replace the plastic 1/2'" PVC pipe underneath my earth driveway via 1" diameter white PVC pipe.

I will be burying the white PVC pipe approx 18 inches to 24 inches below top surface of my earth driveway.

Is that a good idea or not?

FYI...
    (1)There is low frost line requirement in the area where I live.
    (2)It is more like "install the pipe wherever I want".

Default Re: Routing water line

Not positive about this but I don't believe that PVC pipe can be used for drinking water. I'm pretty sure it can only be used for waste and venting. The black pipe is most likely ABS which in some parts of the country is used for waste instead of PVC. I'm not a plumber so I'm not sure what the difference is. Your best bet is to check with your local inspector or a plumbing supply store.

I should be clearer about this.

I think it is call PEX tubing. If I call it PVC pipe then please accept my error in proper term.

I want to run 1/2" diameter PEX tubing inside 1" white PVC pipe and buried it underneath my driveway.

If I have a leak in the future then I do not have to dig up my driveway. I just pull out the PEX tubing on either end and install new PEX tubing.

I live in NC too the clay is awful it would work but if in the future you add sprinkler pipe it may get confused with your pipe.Also run a trace wire while you are in the ground so you can trace it down the road. Just single 14g cu will do.

www.infraredsurvey.com

Quote Originally Posted by Infraredsurvey.com View Post
    I live in NC too the clay is awful
    Oh yeah, you're 100% correct. It is one damn tough soil.

it would work but if in the future you add sprinkler pipe it may get confused with your pipe.
    I really wish I could run underground sprinkler but due to extremely tough NC soil. I'm not going to do that.

Also run a trace wire while you are in the ground so you can trace it down the road. Just single 14g cu will do.

www.infraredsurvey.com
    Good Idea.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWalt View Post
    Oh yeah, you're 100% correct. It is one damn tough soil.

I really wish I could run underground sprinkler but due to extremely tough NC soil. I'm not going to do that.

Good Idea.
    isn't that what is also called rock?

Using 1/2" as your main supply line is not enough diameter; you need 1" pex or 1' flex copper tubing to maintain adequate flow for all present & future contingencies.

You can run the 1" main in a 2" sleeve, if you want, but it's usually not done.

I'm not sure but I think the metal leader to detect the line for future service has to be ferrous.

Can a metal detector detect up a copper locater line?
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 12-29-2007 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JacktheShack View Post
    Using 1/2" as your main supply line is not enough diameter; you need 1" pex or 1' flex copper tubing to maintain adequate flow for all present & future contingencies.

I'm not sure but I think the metal leader to detect the line for future service has to be ferrous.

Can a metal detector detect up a copper locater line?
    I work for a utility company . ( Gas / Electric ). The gas operations people run a copper wire with the plastic gas lines .

Question Re: Routing water line

Quote Originally Posted by JacktheShack View Post

Thanks for your insight.

1/2" diamter[id] PEX line is already in the ground.

We do not have any issue with water pressure and volume while the dishwasher and laundry are on at the same time.

I'm not looking to upgrade the PEX diameter.
    All I want is to re-route the line from the water meter to underneath the driveway and to the house.

FYI...I understand where you're coming from.
    There are new homes build next door and they are using 1/2" ID PEX tubing.
    According to plumbers..."More than enough".