+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default how do I baby-proof (anchor) a fish tank?

I have a 55 gallon fish tank.

The math:

55 gallons @ 8lbs/gal. ~440lbs
    2 lbs/gal of sand ~110lbs
    tank ~100lbs
    wood stand ~60-80lbs
    wood tank top/lights ~40-50lbs

~750lbs

5'6" tall and slightly top heavy.

The tank rocks, ever so slightly, because the nicest spot to put the tank is along the floor joists, not across them. Hey, it holds.

Now, toddlers have the strength of Bam Bam.

I fear a crash, the sound of rushing water and the lack of a cry from my child.

How can I best anchor this to the wall?

Metal strapping anchored to studs?

Nylon webbing wrapped around the tank and anchored to studs?

Help!

Default Re: how do I baby-proof (anchor) a fish tank?

On several jobs I have been on they have anti tipping clips that go on the back of stoves. and all these are is a bracket that mounts to the wall and a clip that goes on the back of the stove mates into it. with the weight of the tank full, all you really have to do is to secure the stand to the wall, of course that all depends on how much wobble you are talking about. I would try to make sure it can't wobble and secure the stand to the wall. if child can move that then you probally have bigger worries, sleep with one eye open and that sort of thing.

Dw's solution may be a little over kill but certainly not by much. Tipping is only one of the problems.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I don't know if you are done baby-proofing your tank but I thought you may benefit from reading the approach someone else took.

I am expecting a newborn myself for November... so I am now in the look for the best ideas to baby-proof my tanks!! If any of you ran across relevant advise - pls let me know.

And for all those fish tank lovers... worth watching this video.

All the best!

Quote Originally Posted by ticoreef View Post
    I don't know if you are done baby-proofing your tank but I thought you may benefit from reading the approach someone else took.

I am expecting a newborn myself for November... so I am now in the look for the best ideas to baby-proof my tanks!! If any of you ran across relevant advise - pls let me know.

And for all those fish tank lovers... worth watching this video.

All the best!
    I decided to use front door securing chains. They're designed to withstand weight. I installed them tight, to wall studs and the tank stand, so it won't rock.