+ Reply to Thread

Question Electrical Help Needed

My home needs a new electrical box installed. It is a Federal Pacific Stab Lok box. I understand these boxes have been discontued and have understand why. I am in the process of getting quotes now, but tonight I had my dishwasher serviced. I had the power off to the dishwasher and he was still getting shocked. He told me i needed to check the electical ground to my house. Were would that be and what would that look like. None of the electricians said anything about the house ground.

Thanks

Default Re: Electrical Help Needed

Generally the house ground is a bare copper wire that runs from the common/ground bus in the breaker box to a grounding rod outside. In some older homes it is connected to the plumbing instead of a ground rod.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the info. I already have four different quotes and the work should be starting on the 8th of January.

Happy New Year!!

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Generally the house ground is a bare copper wire that runs from the common/ground bus in the breaker box to a grounding rod outside. In some older homes it is connected to the plumbing instead of a ground rod.
    Jack
    In central Pennsylvania, inspectors require both....

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    In central Pennsylvania, inspectors require both....
    Ernie,
    Are you saying they require the common/ground bus in the main panel to be grounded through a ground rod and through the plumbing?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Ernie,
    Are you saying they require the common/ground bus in the main panel to be grounded through a ground rod and through the plumbing?
    Jack
    Yes, the standard outside ground rod with acorn clamp and grounding on both sides of the water meter with "weaver" clamps.
    And that can ring up the $$$$$ since the water meter is not always near the load center location. {Rule # 1, always scout out that water meter location !!!!!**

We've been installing both grounds here in suburban Chicago for several years.
    HTH

Dave

Cool Re: Electrical Help Needed

there are new breakers out on the market ,that will fit your panel.but they cost a lot of money,still my be cheaper then replacing your panel.This quick swap of breaker will make ur panel safe. as far as ur ground . check the main cold water line coming into ur house .[in some areas of the country that were ur ground is connected,or by ur electric meter.and it can be both place ] BE CAREFULL IF THERES A LOAD ON THE GROUND IT CAN ZAP U.... NEVER DISCONNECT UR GROUND WITHOUT JUMPING IT OUT [clamp on a wire of the same size ,above the conection that might be broken and clamp it on too the cold water pipe or ground rod. by doing this u will fix ur grounding problem if any ..

I JUST THINK UR BREAKERS ARE MARKED INCORRECTLY,THAT WHY HE GOT Zaped

ENJOY UR NEYEAR EVER ONE