+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What was it?

Default What was it?

Tonight I came in as a segment of the ATOH show was switching subjects to fixing a fellows Las Vegas home sprinkler system. Just before that part they showed a product that looked like balls and I heard part of the discription as ," will take care of fish waste and algae". I didn't hear or see any more. What was that product? What is it's use? It sounded like it may be for a pond.

This is my first post. I looked in the product section but all they had were 2006 shows.

Thanks for any help,

Smile Re: What was it?

442:
    If you receive an answer to your question about the "ball" that will take care of fish waste and algae, please share it with me. I also have a pond, and would be interested in getting one of those! dcadarette@charter.net

Default Re: What was it?

Yes, please do share. This sounds like info that would interest a great many folks with ponds, whether they have fish or not.

I think that was the show with the small, multi-faceted, ping pong ball sized plastic spheres that are used in pond filters as a growing surface for beneficial bacteria.

They have a lot of little nooks and crannies that provide a large surface for the bacteria to grow on. I have a couple hundred of them in my pond's filter box.

Laguna Pond Supply makes - or at least sells - them. Others may, too.
    Jim D.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    I think that was the show with the small, multi-faceted, ping pong ball sized plastic spheres that are used in pond filters as a growing surface for beneficial bacteria.
    If in deed these are what was on the show, IMHO, it's a bunch of hooey and simply a means of removing an exorbitant amount of cash from your wallet. When my pond pump went south and I couldn't get a replacement, I had to buy a whole new system. I bought the filter box with the "ping pong" balls more for the filtering apparatus than anything else. The balls do nothing to reduce algae growth or other cooties. The pond required the same, regular cleaning and chlorine to keep away the green, murky water.

I have since found a better way to keep the water crystal clear, and it's cheaper than buying chemicals. Hydrogen peroxide takes care of the algae and everything else, best of all if one of the animals decides to stick their nose in there it's not going to hurt them like the heavy concentrations of chlorine would. 1/4 cup of 35% peroxide (medical grade, mail order) every 10 to 14 days keeps a 175 gallon pond crystal clear. Peroxide would not be harmful to plants, however if you've got fish you must be extremely careful and slowly work up the peroxide levels.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    If in deed these are what was on the show, IMHO, it's a bunch of hooey and simply a means of removing an exorbitant amount of cash from your wallet. When my pond pump went south and I couldn't get a replacement, I had to buy a whole new system. I bought the filter box with the "ping pong" balls more for the filtering apparatus than anything else. The balls do nothing to reduce algae growth or other cooties. The pond required the same, regular cleaning and chlorine to keep away the green, murky water...
    Well, chlorine will harm the fish, and the bacteria don't kill algae.

The balls just let the bacteria grow, and they do help to accellerate the decomposition of dead algae, fish waste, and other organic matter. Other than pond salt, which is beneficial to fish, I've never added any chemicals to my pond, other than bacteria 'starters' in the Spring and Summer. The water stays crystal clear, and the fish are healthy. The papyrus and water lilies also thrive.

Barley straw in one of the filter baskets helps to keep the algae at bay, but doesn't totally curtail it.

Regular cleaning of the filter - just wash it with the garden hose and replace it - is all I regularly do, other than removing leaves and debris that Mother Nature lets fall into the water.
    Jim D.