+ Reply to Thread

Question correcting problem with door hinge mortise

I purchased new solid brass hinges for the doors in my house. The new hinges are just a tad bigger than the old, as well as just a little thicker. I attempted to chisel out the extra wood so that the new hinges would fit properly. Let's just say I've never done it before and it didn't turn out very well. You know that little edge of wood that you have left over and the side edge of the hinge fits snug against? Well, mine is messed up....not there in some spots. How do I fix this problem? Should I use some sort of expoy wood filler? FYI...the doors will be painted, not stained.
    peace,
    Sophie

Default Re: correcting problem with door hinge mortise

is there not one person on this forum who has a suggestion?!!!
    peace,
    Sophie

Sophie,
    If you have finished installing the hinge and it's flat and level with the door, I would say you have a couple of choices. You can neatly remove the rest of that little strip of wood and glue a new piece in, sand and finish or you could use wood filler to build up the missing area, sand and finish.

By the way I would mask the hinge while doing the work which ever way you go.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I have a problem too with my door, first ... this door is about 60 years old and when the door latch stopped working right, the local hardware company suggested we replace the lock and that they would install it.

The latch they put in was different then the orginal, they told us those types of locks are no longer made and couldn't get the orginal.

After they did there install, we paid and they left..... 3 days later the door was not closing again........... and its still not fixed

The hardware company came back, install another lockset , charged us again and left

And again after a few days..........the door does not shut

For what i can figure out is that the little metal shaft keeps sticking inside the latch and does not release when the knob is turned

The hole where the orginal latch was was quite long (7 or 8 inches) and this new latch rests in this hole is around 4 inches long.

Should i try and fill this hole with something myself and what do i do about getting the little metal shaft to pop in and out of the lockset as its supose to do?

I really do not want to call our hardware store company anymore as they have allready costed me nearlly $200 for there two trips of bad service

Any suggestions?