+ Reply to Thread

Question Prefabricated Shower Stall or a Tiled Shower

I want to replace my tub with a shower. I am having trouble deciding if I should install a Prefabricated Shower Stall or a Tiled Shower. What are the pros and cons of either a Prefabricated Shower Stall or a Tiled Shower?

Default Re: Prefabricated Shower Stall or a Tiled Shower

what your going to end up with is a lot of opinions. mine is tiled = house, prefab shower = mobile home
    Last edited by havanagranite; 12-27-2007 at 05:01 PM. Reason: add comma

really though they do make some nicer prefabs. but you have a lot more options when you go tile. limited only by your imagination.

from michigan huh? I'm originally from a small town in michigan called mio

Prefab
    1. cheaper - and looks it
    2. faster install

Tile
    1. looks nicer - costs more
    2. more design options

Compromise - fiberglass pan with tile surround. Faster/easier pan install, while still having lots of design options

Here’s my two cents worth…

Tile is more expensive. But if you go with tile and take the time to come up with a good design that you like a lot and it is done right you will probably be very happy with it for years to come.

If you go prefab it will certainly perform the function well enough but it will probably be boring and you very well might wish you’d gone with tile. (If you do tile right you will probably not end up wishing you’d done prefab.)

Bottom line:
    If you are more interested in the function and minimizing cost then prefab would be a good choice. But if you are more interested in having something you really like then tile would be a good choice.

I replace my tub with a curb-less shower stall that I designed and tiled myself. The big advantage to tile was that I could rob space from the closet and from the center of the bathroom to make the stall much larger. I used 1" hex tiles on the floor with epoxy grout and 3x6 subway tiles on the walls.

But, it took me a long time to finish this project. A prefab would have gone in a lot quicker.

While doing a major rehab of my house (still going on) I put in a one piece fiberglass shower which included the ceiling a seat and grab bar. It looks great, is practical, very easy to keep clean. Everyone who sees it loves it so fiberglass does not necessarily equal cheap looking. Of course unless your house is wide open you may have difficulty getting a one piece unit in your house.

Yeah - a remodel limits the size of the shower you can install. You typically cannot use one of the complete surrounds, as the unit will not fit through the doors leading into the bathroom. You're left with one of the panel systems with separate pan and walls that you glue / caulk together once it is cut to fit and in place.

I installed a 48" Kohler shower unit, one piece with seat. No seams. My house has 32" door and we got nit in with no problem except carrying it up the stairs. It certainly doesn't look cheap nor was the price.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

High Five Jack!!

My DH works for Kohler. We want to replace our 2 pc fiberglass tub/shower with a nice Kohler and of course what we are looking for is ^ $$$. What I have found is the prefab (what we have now) floats above the floor. (looking thru the access) There are many severe stress cracks in the fiberglass bottom and sidewalls and the bottom is drooping in the middle. lol Previous owner install. If I myself had the time when redoing our main bath I would prefer tile and do it myself.

Cris