+ Reply to Thread

Default learning to pitch

I saw a 12x16 shed in a catalogue that I liked but couldn't afford the $14k price tag, so I decided to build it myself - my first attempt at a project on that scale, and only scaling froma photograph of the finished building. I framed and erected the walls with no problem, then looked around at my garage house and barn, all of which had 6/12 roof pitches, and proceeded to frame and sheath the roof with the same. When I was finished sheathing, I stepped back to look at it and realized it did not look quite right. Another look at the photograph convinced me I should have framed it as a 9/12. I debated for a day, asked my wife, and finally decided I couldn't live with it, so off it all came, and away to the scrap pile went the remains. The new roof I think looks like it belongs there. What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1163.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	466   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1165.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	467  

Default Re: learning to pitch

Well it looks pretty nice to me. I'd have you build one on my lot, but it would likely show up my house.
    What was the price tag for the DIY project? No doubt it's better built at even the same price.

Very nicely done, and kudo's for thinking outside the box on the design. Looks great.

That looks sharp. I like the shutters and the cupola. Is that a pergola on the side too? You went all out. It sure looks good though.

The transom window is a nice touch too, it looks like an old barn.

Oh, I love your building, its very appealing. I can imaging spending many hours puttering around in it. The roof looks fine, compliments the rest of the structure.