+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question plastic wall tiles

I have a 1950 home with pink plastic tiles on the bathroom walls. The walls are some sort of plaster. These tiles have to go. They pry off easy enough, but there is some sort of adhesive left behind. Any ideas on what it is?

The tiles have "Meets FHA specifications Made of STYRON A Dow Plastic Rib-lock" in raised lettering on the backside.

Is there a safe way to get this stuff down without gouging up the walls more than I already have? Also, when I remove some of the tiles, there is an odor. Smells like a musty tent. Any suggestions? Eventually I will be repairing/replacing the walls, but 12 years with the silver wall paper and pink tiles is too much.

Default Re: plastic wall tiles

My parents are replacing their bathroom vanity but they love their pink plastic tiles and need about a dozen more of them to complete their project. Could I buy a dozen or more from you. I will pay shipping etc.

I got this from my friend bob villa

I have recently moved into a 50 year old house with plastic tiles in the kitchen covering more then half the walls. We found a good way to remove these tiles from walls that aren't drywall. If you use a heat gun it's totally worth the expense. Hold it close to the tiles and they will fall right off the wall then heat the glue and sc**** it off with a spackle scrapper or other flat and semi sharp object. it still takes some effort but after the glue is heated it is much much easier. Still count on it being a long project. My kitchen is about 18x7.5 and half the walls had tiles and it took a total of 9 hours to remove the tiles and glue and another 2 to patch the few areas where the wall chipped. After painting it though it looks a thousand times better.

I used a wallpaper steamer to soften the adhesive and sc****d off with a four-inch putty knife.

Unhappy Re: plastic wall tiles

Thanks for the help. Looks like I will be doing a total remodel alot sooner than I had planned. Some of the floor tiles were loose and I could pull them up with my fingers. Long story short, I can see into my basement from the main floor bath. Sub floor has water damage. Bords are weak. As long as I have to fix this I might as well do the entire room.

Lightbulb Re: plastic wall tiles

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I have a 1950 home with pink plastic tiles on the bathroom walls. The walls are some sort of plaster. These tiles have to go. They pry off easy enough, but there is some sort of adhesive left behind. Any ideas on what it is?

The tiles have "Meets FHA specifications Made of STYRON A Dow Plastic Rib-lock" in raised lettering on the backside.

Is there a safe way to get this stuff down without gouging up the walls more than I already have? Also, when I remove some of the tiles, there is an odor. Smells like a musty tent. Any suggestions? Eventually I will be repairing/replacing the walls, but 12 years with the silver wall paper and pink tiles is too much.
    my name is norma booth. i want to no if you want to sell the wall tile that you and how much you want for them.E-mail me back.lynnthomas05@comcast.net thank you.

If anyone is interested, we are redoing the bathroom of a house we just bought to move into and it has the light pink (almost light salmon) colored plastic tiles. They are popping off pretty easily and whatever they put them up there with seems to come off pretty easily. Does anyone know if there is a market for these or should we just throw them out?

Had I known how popular those damned plastic tiles were, I would have saved the couple hundred disgusting pink ones I removed from around my shower surround when I remodeled. They sure come off easy, don't they?
    Yes, I have noticed here and on craigslist that people are willing to pay for those things, so don't add to the landfills, and make a few bucks in the process!
    Personally, I prefer my faux painted tiles over the pink plastic nightmare. Inexpensive, easy, and when you tire of the look, just paint over it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bath before 6.jpg 
Views:	995 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	788   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bath after 6.jpg 
Views:	977 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	789  

We are remodeling our bathroom and are in search of about 20 4 1/4 x 4 1/4tiles. We will buy any color!!

Thanks a million!!!

I hope it's not too late, but I am looking for just a few of the pink plastic tiles to refinish my bathroom. I am also looking for the corner pieces. Please email me if you have some available. Thanks!! weinfurters@netzero.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynanne View Post
    If anyone is interested, we are redoing the bathroom of a house we just bought to move into and it has the light pink (almost light salmon) colored plastic tiles. They are popping off pretty easily and whatever they put them up there with seems to come off pretty easily. Does anyone know if there is a market for these or should we just throw them out?