Poll: If available, which DVDs of TOH projects would you buy?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Are you interested in buying DVDs of TOH episodes? Let's let TOH know!

.... and I STILL want to buy them - hell, I'd even be willing to pay for an explanation as to why they aren't available - I'd be proud to create the cover design for free .... I'd pay good money for each season ... I have designed a cabinet to house my seasons nicely ... what else do you guys want?

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Are you interested in buying DVDs of TOH episodes? Let's let TOH know!

I am very interested in every TOH Project

Talking Re: Are you interested in buying DVDs of TOH episodes? Let's let TOH know!

Please do let us know! It's great to get input directly from fans. The DVDs were suspended from production a few years back during budget cuts as not being profitable enough, but we are happy to forward numbers and feedback to our upper management for reconsideration.

*** - and only four years after the thread started!

No offence, but I think this may be the ONLY response I have received from anyone from TOH to do with what is happening regarding video production of the seasons. And no offence again, but budget cuts sounds like someone in senior management doesn't get it.

I have no idea what the cost of production, but I imagine it to be considerable .... I called a friend who owns a production company - he informed me that pre-production costs are the main costs, followed by distribution, then of course advertising/marketing ... then the media/packaging etc. These costs would add up to something substantial but I imagine doing it like this:

-----note: it may be that you are forced to sort out arrangements with your content-resellers (paytv firms etc) so you do that and then ....

-- let all fans of the shows/magazine know that it is "possible" that TOH will produce limited editions of dvd sets

-- get feedback about who would buy it, then divide the number by "X" to get who might really buy them

-- produce four complete seasons on DVD (you already did two brilliant ones-so maybe just add two more say, one from the 80's and one from the 90's) and offer them for sale worldwide either direct or through an Amazon, eBay etc.

-- If successful, repeat and ADD seasons until people who love your show and are dedicated to its continued contribution, vote with their wallets AND receive what is frankly the WORLD'S BEST home improvement content.

I have already spent a fortune (OK, not a fortune but certainly more than a thousand dollars...) transferring my VHS collection to DVD and I know others who have invested in high end equipment JUST so they can make sure their deteriorating VHS recordings don't get worse.

Personally, I created a custom DVD cover insert, bought the most expensive blank media, quality paper and multi-disc cases just for my TOH sets. Being in Australia, the cost of buying original VHS seasons then paying as much as $50 shipping was still worthwhile. I and the others here may be the only ones who want this .... but I'd be amazed if that's the case. If the two sets that were made available on DVD 5 years ago didn't sell it was NOT because they were of a poor standard - I searched, searched and searched again until I happened to see these come up and immediately bought them.

Anyway, I apologise for the rant, but it is how I feel about the whole issue .... I also respect that it is an easy thing for the "uninitiated" to carry on about such things with little knowledge. Last year after devastating fires ripped through our entire region, I was hoping to find something really fun and meaningful to do ... you guys at TOH are very lucky because I nearly jumped on a plane and visited you in the hope of convincing you to do two things - create an Aussie TOH and employ me to be your head of video distribution ..... lucky aren't ya?

Default Alright...Enough of this nonsense! We need to Organize!!!

Here's my email to TOH regarding the DVD issue:

"I've been a loyal This Old House viewer since childhood and I still love watching TOH (when I can get to them). This is the problem. Either host more episodes on Youtube or put out some DVDs so we can purchase the shows/seasons and watch whenever we want to (or when our wives allow us to). I don't think I'm alone here one this one.

Check out your own Forums:

http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=2988
    &
    http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=1358

uhhh...hello? over 21,000 views? C'mon Norm and Tom!!!

In the age where human DNA has been decoded, satellites sent to the outer reaches of the solar system, and Supercomputers can beat people on Jeopardy, you're telling me Time Warner/TOH/PBS/WGBH can't work something out to get DVDs into the hands of loyal followers? Psssh...man up boys!!!"

Please send EMAILS to TOH! We need to send like thousands before the MBA boneheads in suits start to do something.

Organize people! Fight for what's right! (In this case, TOH DVDs) Yeah!

Oh and here's their info:

This Old House Television
    135 West 50th St, 10th floor
    New York, NY 10020
    Phone: 212-522-9465
    Fax: 212-522-9435
    E-mail: contact@thisoldhouse.com
    See our list of Frequently Asked Questions about the TV programs.
    Last edited by dawaves; 03-05-2011 at 12:23 AM. Reason: forgot something...so what?

You know I have been looking all over the place for copies of past episodes, they give great tips and just general ideas for projects that I have been planning or am actually working on. Funny thing though, with all the useless junk on the internet, and I can't even find any copies of old episodes

I have recently added a couple more seasons onto eBay - the DVD sets sold immediately but the VHS's are still there. And to anyone who thinks they're expensive - they cost me far more than the advertised price (happy to provide verifiable details - SERIOUS parties only) and I hunted literally for years to find them, searching everywhere, even US libraries and by sending bulk emails to Retirement homes and clubs .... after 8 years I ended up with a few sets but met some fantastic people along the way .... sure there are a few more sets out there to find - GOOD LUCK!

I know this is an old thread but I am looking for older episodes of TOH also. In this age of digital content, with Netflix, Hulu and Apple, I am sure you guys can make it work without spending huge amounts on DVD production and distribution.

I Would purchase all the seasons of this old house . I have watched the show since the first episode with Bob Villa; through Steve Thomas, and with Kevin O Conner. I have watched as Norm and Tom renovated the homes and looked forward to each completion. When I owned a VHS system ; I checked out episodes from the Library to watch over again. I love this show and learned a lot about home improvement. and it got me to start watching the DIY Network and HGTV. I download the currant episodes into my DVR so I can watch them over and would love to own the DVDs of the show into my DVD collection.Just as I Have with the first 5 years of Holmes on Homes .Please When You release TOH, make it the complete series from episode one to the present. with new episodes after the new season ends.

As ever, we Aussies get shows so far out of date its annoying - we can NEVER get information from the nation's SINGLE payTV provider about when shows are scheduled to run which is such industrial-age treatment it becomes doubly annoying.

Over the years folks who know me know that I have assembled every season since commencement but they are all either dubbed from original VHS or backed up from HDD recordings. I have ONLY ever resold original VHS copies on to others and would NEVER do anything else.

TOH did offer 2 season on original DVD and I of course bought those as soon as I knew they were available.

TOH, I firmly believe a significant enough percentage of your audience looks more like fanatical adherents than casual viewers - to this day, no other program comes close to the quality of yours. The depth and breadth of knowledge and information I have received is second to none.

I fully appreciate how expensive it can be to produce a show and imagine it must cost a lot to then produce it onto DVD for sale to the general public BUT your potential audience is not only global but would be very grateful for the opportunity to own an amazing archival reference library of your shows.

You could even seek early-adopter buyers, who pay a considerable deposit up front to assist in funding it .... It has already cost me well more than a thousand dollars and countless hours to amass my collection and I'd still very happily spend it again.

Respectfully, there may be some particular reason the show's controllers have opted to NOT release the DVDs/Blu Rays into the market - so, I ask again: what is that reason? Your loyal fans want to know and might even stop harassing you for information if you tell us.

Above all, you are sincerely loved by your followers and we can't get enough of you to the point of wanting to pay large sums of money for the privilege because you make our lives bigger for your contribution .... not too many people in our world can lay claim to that.

Thanks, if you read this rant this far

Steve Ansell
    Kilmore, Australia

ps. most morning I start my day with TOH then go on to make these types of things