+ Reply to Thread

Thread: French Drains

Default French Drains

The area where we just bought our new house has soil that is mostly clay and therefore doesn't drain particularly well. The builder came out and threw sand on the problem areas, but it hasn't improved the situation. Would it be worth my time to install French drains on my own to solve the drainage problem?

-My lot backs up to a drainage trench - which is where I planned on running them to...

Thanks for the help TOH!

Jeremy,
    Bastrop, TX

Default Re: French Drains

Quote Originally Posted by jermoliver View Post
    The area where we just bought our new house has soil that is mostly clay and therefore doesn't drain particularly well. The builder came out and threw sand on the problem areas, but it hasn't improved the situation. Would it be worth my time to install French drains on my own to solve the drainage problem?

-My lot backs up to a drainage trench - which is where I planned on running them to...

Thanks for the help TOH!

Jeremy,
    Bastrop, TX
    I would say that you are probally having problem with the "grade" of your property. the property should be shaped so that it has a slope towards the back where your drainage ditch is. and if it is pooling in areas these would require fill, but the problem lies in the fact of having a majority of your yard being clay, so when they just put sand on top of a low spot, it still holds water and will wash the sand back out. you need to have the lands scaper come back and regrade the yard so that it has propper flow. anything else is really only going to only be a halfway fix.

Okay, I will contact the builder again and tell them that is wht needs to be done. I appreciate the info. Another question. Is there any way to breakup the clay soil?

Quote Originally Posted by jermoliver View Post
    Okay, I will contact the builder again and tell them that is wht needs to be done. I appreciate the info. Another question. Is there any way to breakup the clay soil?
    Only through the addition of organic matter such as straw, manure, leaves, and compost. It won't change over night, nor cure the issue past the depth that these materials are worked into the clay, but it will make a difference in the top layer and what you'll get to grow there. You'll still need to have proper grading.