+ Reply to Thread

Default Insulation a garage

my wife and I just bought our first house 8 months ago. We have a 2 car garage. The garage is partially sheetrocked (inside wall facing the house and ceiling) and has insulation between the garage wall and my tv den room. The outside wall of the garage and the back part of the garage just show the wall studs. We get tremendous wind and air flow thru these walls. I want to insulate both walls as I want to be able to work in my garage. What type of insulation do I use for the outside walls? Can I get the insulation with paper on it and have the paper face showing IN toward the garage? I will then sheetrock and hopefully the air flow will decrease.

MSY

Default Re: Insulation a garage

Quote Originally Posted by MSY View Post
    my wife and I just bought our first house 8 months ago. We have a 2 car garage. The garage is partially sheetrocked (inside wall facing the house and ceiling) and has insulation between the garage wall and my tv den room. The outside wall of the garage and the back part of the garage just show the wall studs. We get tremendous wind and air flow thru these walls. I want to insulate both walls as I want to be able to work in my garage. What type of insulation do I use for the outside walls? Can I get the insulation with paper on it and have the paper face showing IN toward the garage? I will then sheetrock and hopefully the air flow will decrease.

MSY
    that would work and maybe over the garage door you can use a foam board cut to fit

Default Re: Insulation a garage

We get tremendous wind and air flow thru these walls. I want to insulate both walls as I want to be able to work in my garage. What type of insulation do I use for the outside walls? Can I get the insulation with paper on it and have the paper face showing IN toward the garage? I will then sheetrock and hopefully the air flow will decrease.
    The first thing you should do is locate where the drafts are coming from and seal those points with either a caulk or spray foam.

Bat insulation won't stop drafts very well ---- also bat insulation looses it's insulating performance in moving air.

Hope this helps.