+ Reply to Thread

Default New cabinets to match existing

Hello,

I would like to add new cabinets in the kitchen.

How/Where can I get them to match existing cabinets (or at least doors)

TIA

Default Re: New cabinets to match existing

that would be a very difficult thing to say. they could be premanufactured cabinets like shanendoa, kraft maid, quality or many others. if you know who the builder was or the cabinet shop he used that would be the best way to go. if it was truly custom built cabinets then a good quality cabinet shop should be able to match them. if they have real wood frames with press board sides and bottom with a plastic synthetic wood grain then they would most likely be factory made cabinets. but finding out name brand might be a challenge. taking a door off and visiting some cabinet shops in your area to see how close a match they can come up with would be what I would do.

You will also need to know stain colors and finishing techniques used. Also remember that cabinets that are in direct sunlight will fade in time and you might have a different color now then when they were first installed. Sometimes inside the drawers on the left or right side of the inner drawer you will see a manufacturers name. This should give you a pretty good clue as to what process was used in making them.

You'll also need to know the style of the cabinet, full overlay, inset, 3/4 overlay, etc. I would recommend taking a door, drawer and photo of the kitchen with as many specifics as possible.

A lot of designers are using different color and style cabinets to contrast what is existing, meaning, making islands with white cabinets that look more like furniture then a kitchen cabinet. I have also installed different color upper cabinets then lowers, the lowers were stained and the uppers painted. It was a pretty neat look.

Just thought I would add some info for you. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M. View Post
    You will also need to know stain colors and finishing techniques used. Also remember that cabinets that are in direct sunlight will fade in time and you might have a different color now then when they were first installed. Sometimes inside the drawers on the left or right side of the inner drawer you will see a manufacturers name. This should give you a pretty good clue as to what process was used in making them.

You'll also need to know the style of the cabinet, full overlay, inset, 3/4 overlay, etc. I would recommend taking a door, drawer and photo of the kitchen with as many specifics as possible.

A lot of designers are using different color and style cabinets to contrast what is existing, meaning, making islands with white cabinets that look more like furniture then a kitchen cabinet. I have also installed different color upper cabinets then lowers, the lowers were stained and the uppers painted. It was a pretty neat look.

Just thought I would add some info for you. Good Luck!
    yea I didn't even think about mentioning overlays. one point though wood has a tendancy to darken with age not fade. if they just have a vinyl over the wood (or press board) that might fade, but we usually have to sell older cabinets at a discount if we have had them in stock or in the show room for more than a year because of them darkening and not matching new cabinets that come in form the supplier.

How many cabinets are you trying to add? I don't know how big your kitchen is, but if you are planning on adding more than 6-7 cabinets, it might be worth it just to replace them all. By the time you try to match everything up, the time and effort won't be worth it. The other option would be to find a company that can supply not only the cabinets, but also enough new doors to replace the doors on the old cabinets. At that point you could just paint them all to match