+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Sump Pump doing neighboorhood duty

I live in the Highlands and use a sump to keep the water out of my basement and assuming my neighbors too. The drainpipe is located at the side of my house with a 3ft alley seperating my neighbors house. When my pump runs it deposits down the alley 7 ft or so toward the sidewalk and right to the base of his front stairs. This is very troubling especially in the winter as the front of his house becomes sheets of ice from my drainage.
    This problem arose a few years ago when the city installed new sidewalks, changing the pitch. I've thought of extending and redirecting the drainpipe but the water would be at my front steps then back into my basement. I also thought about a french drain but again, back into my basement the water would go. Maybe a rain barrel? I've got most of my hair pulled out over this one! Mostly, my neighbor shouldn't have to deal with it.
    Please, someone, anyone....help.
    Peace

Default Re: Sump Pump doing neighboorhood duty

The only thing I could think of for you to do is to find a different place for your sump pump to exit the bldg. Or excavate the area where it exits the building and installing piping to bring it out past your property and his. They sell Pop up drains that you could put out in the yard, that will only pop up when it is being used so no need to worry about hitting it with your mower. Other then that, I got nothing. You can't attach your sump to your home's sewage lines, due to bldg codes,so I would suggest the excavation.

Good Luck!

happy hippie vegan chick ... is it possible to extend and re-direct the sump drain pipe toward to back of your property ?

I agree with DW on the liability issue . That's the kind of world we live in today .

You are taking the responsible approach in that you do not want this to be a problem for your neighbor. But you are also likely legally required to remedy this problem. I know that where I live you are not allowed to grade your yard in a way that causes a drainage problem for your neighbors. You canít shift your water problems to them. I assume this also applies to the water problems due to your sump discharge.

It sounds like you have already considered moving the discharge. The location you considered would then direct the water to your front steps so that is not a good choice. What about another discharge location? Could you discharge it to an underground drainpipe that takes the water to a drywell? I donít know how deep your frost line is but if you put the drywell below the frost line then water can still leach out even in winter. (In Minnesota where I live our frost line is 42Ē. Massachuchusetts has a bit milder climate so your frost line might be a little shallower.) This would involve a lot of digging and I know that you have a lot of ledge in your part of the country so this solution might be painful.

Sean M. suggested a pop-up. I use one of these in my yard to handle the water from my gutters. This works quite well in the non-frozen months. It also handles the little bit of melting snow I get in the winter. But I would be concerned about the pop-up not popping up if it is buried under snow.

Let me know what you end up doing Ė I am interested.

Good luck!

Post Re: Sump Pump doing neighboorhood duty

Thank you all so much for your help. I went out this morning and took some pictures to give you more to go on, then chopped and sanded of course. This goes on until I go to bed. I didn't have this problem until the city dug up the entire street and sidewalks to put in new sewer pipes, therefore changing the pitch. I read in the local paper that the Dept. of Public Works have exhausted their funds already due to the 2 heavy snowfalls recently.
    And yes, Sherry, we are on ledge. There is nothing but rock under and all around us. I'd think the ledge would help with the draining.

I wonder if I could make a temporary fix by placing sandbags there?

Again, thank you for your input...it's nice to know folks are willing to reach out.

Peace
    (I think, if you double-click the picture will enlarge )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	collage.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	463  
    Last edited by happy hippie vegan chick; 12-26-2007 at 02:33 PM. Reason: more info