+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new ceiling

Default new ceiling

I would like advice on what to use in a new ceiling in a basement room. I want to be able to get to the space between this ceiling and the floor above as this is the space that all the electrical, duct work, plumbing etc is running in. Hence, I do not want to use plaster board. I am looking for some material that could be easily attached to the furring strips (16inch on center) that are running perpendicular to the joists. I'd like the sections to be easily removable for access into the space between ceiling and the floor above. Because I already have lighting and sprinklers in place.....and because I do not want to lower the ceiling.....I am looking for a material that is 3/8" thick. (I don't want a "dropped ceiling") If it had some accustical (sound deadening properties) that would be great as it will be the ceiling of the "family rec room" and the formal living room is above it! Any advice would be welcome.

Default Re: new ceiling

I don't know of anything that meets your criteria, but I would suggest going to a local home store or searching ****** for basement ceiling solutions. They have done wonders with drop ceilings and track systems. Good Luck.

Default Re: new ceiling

you say you don't want a dropped ceiling but the problem is, what you describe you are looking for is a dropped ceiling. it is also called accoustic ceiling. you can mount lights inside the grid either 2x2 or 2x4 or you can use surface mounted lights. you can get a great variety of tile for the grid that can give it a very unique look. I would reccommend you to go to a drywall supply house like csr rinker or sea coast supply (that is just the name of two here in the south east. look in the yellow pages) and go through one of their catalogs and you may be rather surprised at what is available.