+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: moisture in my garage attic

Quote Originally Posted by sabo4545 View Post
    In my opinion you can't get a really good seal with the paper faced insulation.
    I strongly second that.

If you used the plastic sheeting did you tape all the seams and seal anywhere it was cut such as for light fixtures?
    Exactly .... it's important with the vapor barrier to create a sealed envelope.

Insulation is only one component since it provides a thermal resistance for heat gain/loss. Bat insulation will allow air to pass through.....the role of the vapor barrier is more of an air barrier.

It will stop warm air mixing with cold air which creates condensation. When properly installed and sealed the "vapor barrier" will also prevnt drafts which helps the comfort level.

If your standing in my garage looking up it goes like this...drywall for the ceiling then the insulation with the paper and then I have the attice floor that goes back to the sides of the rafters. Should I have sealed it off with plastic sheeting for an extra moisture vapor protection? I do have the steps that u pull down to get up in the attic.
    Is it a possibilty that I have to many roof vents (6) and not enough soffit vents. Could that create the problem by not letting the proper flow of air..Thx for the replies fellas

Bigdogbone,
    Are you heating the garage to use it as a shop? What are you using to heat it?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I usually dont heat my garage only when we have a B-day or on holidays.... I have a wall mounted heater (fits between my wall studs 220) I'm getting the wife to put pics up for u all to see..Couldnt figure it out, I'm not a computer man..LOL..Once again thx for the replies

From what you have said so far, my only guess would be that when you put up the drywall you blocked the ventilation. Warm air from the house either from a door to the garage being opened, or migration through the common wall is picking up the moisture in the garage and rising to the ceiling and attic and then condensing when it hits the cold drywall. Perhaps you need to install a vent fan in the attic.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb