+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What should a good electrician do?

Hi Everyone!

I recently had an electrician install a grounded/three pronged outlet in my home, which was built in 1957. After realizing that my walls are made of plaster, he asked if it would be okay just to add another outlet next to the old one because he wasn't sure how the plaster would react if he tried to remove the old outlet box and wiring, which were both set snugly within the wall.

Since the outlets would be behind a media center wall unit and not be seen, I said okay. Everything worked out fine and the plaster responded well to having a new outlet installed. I was also pleased with the electricians work.

My dilemma...

I would like to have a grounded outlet installed in another room to accomodate my computer and equipment. However, I don't want to have two outlets on that wall, which I'm afraid the electrician will want to do to avoid the same problem as above. The wall is going to be exposed and I don't want it to look tacky with two outlets by each other.

My questions...

1. Should I find another electrician or will I run into the same problem with every electrician considering the walls are plaster?

2. If I insist that this electrician work with the existing outlet and not create a new one, is it up to me or the electrician to repair any damage to the wall that may occur? Would I have to hire a plasterer?

3. Do I just have to put up with having two outlets next to each other if I have additional outlets grounded and given designated lines/switch to the circuit breaker? That doesn't seem reasonable.

If it matters...The electrician charged me $65 to install the outlet and designated line/switch to the circuit breaker. Is that reasonable?

Any help will be appreciated. Happy Holidays!

Default Re: What should a good electrician do?

1. Should I find another electrician or will I run into the same problem with every electrician considering the walls are plaster?
    Plaster walls do lend themselves to be tricky to work with and resulting in some patching afterwards... how much depends. If they are going to be removing the existing box and running new wire this can be anywhere from minor touch ups to a fairly large patch. Different electricians will have different experiences with working with plaster.

2. If I insist that this electrician work with the existing outlet and not create a new one, is it up to me or the electrician to repair any damage to the wall that may occur? Would I have to hire a plasterer?
    That depends how the job is quoted but keep in mind if the electrician is doing patching they will be charging you for it. Also consider they are an electrician and not a plasterer or painter so their patch work may be rough .

3. Do I just have to put up with having two outlets next to each other if I have additional outlets grounded and given designated lines/switch to the circuit breaker? That doesn't seem reasonable.
    No ... they can be put almost anywhere ... within reason.

The electrician charged me $65 to install the outlet and designated line/switch to the circuit breaker. Is that reasonable?
    I would say ... very.

Hope this helps and Happy Holidays.

Why couldn't he pull the new wiring into the existing box?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I think you got a great price for that work. Just curious, how long did it take for the installation?

Nothing to add to what Canuk posted as far as answering the other Q's. Since you had a good experience with the first electrician, I would contact them and explain what you want.

Nothing to add really except to say I think you got a screaming deal for $65.00!

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    Nothing to add really except to say I think you got a screaming deal for $65.00!
    I agree. Give that man a call back.
    And tell your friends...

asc2078,
    As Dw has an innate ability to state as fact items not mentioned or inferred to make up definitions of any word that fits his/her arguement and to go into an ever winding diatribe on any subject, you should do as I do and just ignore any post DW presents. It'll save you a lot of aggravation and there is no way you can reason with her/him.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by asc2078 View Post
    This is not rocket science. Just ask him if he can fish the new wire that you need in to the old rough-in box.
    Yep! Done it a thousand times. Sometimes there's wall repair afterwards, sometimes not, it all depends on the given circumstances of the particular house and the people doing the work.

it all depends on the given circumstances of the particular house and the people doing the work.
    This pretty well sums things .

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    This pretty well sums things .
    Sometimes in the flurry of flying fingers trying to type a response, the simple things get lost in translation.