+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Problem with Door Adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Excellent point! And, something that could easily account for the problem. To correct something like this will require either moving the stop (the trim around the center of the jamb frame that the door closes against ) where the problem is occurring, or reset the hinge location so that the door is moved away from the stop.

Another excellent point!
    shoot no egos here

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    shoot no egos here
    Gosh no, I was just agreeing with Sean.

Gosh no, I was just agreeing with Sean.
    ya ya I know when he is right he is right

ya ya I know when he is right he is right
    Geez ... havana ... Sprucey's head is going to get huge.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Geez ... havana ... Sprucey's head is going to get huge.
    what are you saying stand next to him in the summer for shade?

I'll leave that job to the resident egomaniac.

I'll leave that job to the resident egomaniac.
    my only comment to that will be yup

Total eclipse of the sun.

A. Spruce, I'm not completely sure I follow your last suggestion...are the "jamb legs" just the veritical parts of the jamb? If so, what am I checking with a straight edge between the two verticals? Also, it seems to me that these parts define the opening...are you suggesting checking the hinge mortise to be square with the edge of the vertical jamb member? Maybe I'm not following the verbal description. Thanks so much for your efforts to help!

I think you're refering to this post?
    Check the edge of the door for being square with the face. If the edge has a bevel to it, that will have affected your mortise. Next, put a straight edge from jamb leg to jamb leg at the bottom hinge area and then check the leg for being square to the opening. Either of these can cause your binding problem while having the appearance of everything being ok.
    With a tri-square or similar styled square, check the edge of the door to the face of the door for square. If this area is angled, then your mortise will be out of whack a bit as well.

The next part about putting a straight edge from leg to leg is to take a straight edge and span the opening from leg to leg, then put the square against the bottom hinge area. From there, eyeball or measure the front and back of the jamb to see if it's twisted. A twisted jamb leg will do the same thing as the edge of the door not being perpendicular to the face.

This comment refers to the vertical trueness of the jamb leg:
    It is possible that the bottom of the jamb leg isn't straight, resulting in the door hitting the jamb before it's in the fully closed position. A straight edge will tell you if it is the bottom of the jamb.
    By laying a long level from hinge to hinge and moving it from the floor to top of opening, you'll see if the jamb leg is both plumb and straight. If the jamb is made of MDF it is quite common for these legs to be "wavy", it is possible that the portion of the leg at and below the bottom hinge is bowed, resulting in the binding issue.

And finally, Sean's comment of the door binding against the stops (the piece of trim in the centerline of the jamb ) is another good point. When you set the hinge on the door, you may not have placed it deep enough front to back on the edge of the door. By this I mean, there should be a thin strip of door edge remaining on the side of the hinge plate opposite the pin when you mortised in the hinge. The wider this tiny strip is, the closer to the centerline of the jamb the door will be (causing the bind ), the thinner it is, the closer to the hinge pin the door will be. If you follow this description, you'll see where the door could actually be binding on the stop and not be a "hinge" problem. Close the door, and from the inside look at the gap around the door between the door face and the stop. Inspect the door face around the area of the bottom hinge for signs of scuffing which will indicate that it's rubbing on the stop.

Hopefully, that clears up your questions, if not, just say so and I'll try to elaborate further, maybe go find some pictures to help express the descriptions. Please report back your findings, I look forward to hearing your progress.