+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Problem with Door Adjustment

I am replacing interior doors with new door slabs. Often, I have trouble with the hinge (usually lower one) binding as it closes, giving a "spring" to the door. shimming seems to help a bit, but does not eliminate the problem. What is happening, how can I correct it?

Default Re: Problem with Door Adjustment

Your door jams may not be straight and square. The hinges on the jam and door still must be on the same center line as thye door opens and closes.

Make sure the jam is square, top to bottom and plumb so the hinges are all straight in-line. Same for the door panel.

They rent hinge mortising jigs to allow placing all the hinges properly, but the jam needs to be installed properly shimmed square.

If you're hand mortising the hinges, then it's likely that you're not getting the bottom of the mortise parallel with the edge of the door, meaning that it's deeper on one edge than the other. Take the door back off and lay on the handset edge to inspect the mortise and hinge. The hinge plate should be flush and level with the surface of the door edge, if it's not, then adjust as necessary, even if that means making the mortise a tad deeper and then shimming the plate back to flush with the surface.

Thanks for the helpful hints. I did mortise them with a good quality hinge mortising jig and the hinge leaves were originally nice and flat relative to door edge. When I had trouble with the "springing" (which occurs just before it shuts fully...its close to working), I tried shimming the hinges out a bit...seemed to help some...they are now a bit proud. In any case, I'm trying not to tear the jam structure apart...is there a good way to check the hinges to see they are on a straight line (that sounds like a good theory)? A good way to adjust the shims? I've tried the trial and error approach a bit and don't quite seem to get there. The spacing around the door looks pretty even. Thanks in advance for any more suggestions.

By the way, on the jam side, I am using the original hinge mortises...the original doors fit and opened/closed well...Thanks again!

It may not even be a hinge problem. It is possible that the bottom of the jamb leg isn't straight, resulting in the door hitting the jamb before it's in the fully closed position. A straight edge will tell you if it is the bottom of the jamb. If you had to cut the edge of the door, it's possible that you didn't quite get the cut quite straight or square either, again, check with a straight edge. One other thing I can think of at the moment is that the heads of the screws are not seated properly. If they are too large for the hinge or angled, then the screw head will bind on the other side when the hinge closes.

Thanks again!....I'm pretty sure it is metal to metal contact at the hinge....if I put a sheet of paper in the lower hinge, it binds; in the upper two, it pulls out smoothly. I don't think the wood is rubbing. Since the hinges are now shimmed out proud of the the door and it is still springing, I don't think it is wood on the door striking the jamb either. The screw heads feel dead flush with the hinge surface. I'm still at a loss, thought I had tried all the apparent ideas, but two of the doors I'm doing seem to resist my attempts. Further thoughts from anyone would be appreciated! Thanks for the ideas so far.

Check the edge of the door for being square with the face. If the edge has a bevel to it, that will have affected your mortise. Next, put a straight edge from jamb leg to jamb leg at the bottom hinge area and then check the leg for being square to the opening. Either of these can cause your binding problem while having the appearance of everything being ok.

BTW, what are you doing working on your doors on Christmas? That's just blasphemy!

I woul check your door stops as well. They could be causing the door to pinch and pushing the door back out. You might see some rubbing on the face of the door if this is the case. All in all, I think that Spruce is probably correct, the door is not square in the opening and if the jambs are still in tact from the previous doors, meaning you replaced the doors but not the jambs then you may have your work cut out for you getting them square and plumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M. View Post
    I woul check your door stops as well. They could be causing the door to pinch and pushing the door back out. You might see some rubbing on the face of the door if this is the case.
    Excellent point! And, something that could easily account for the problem. To correct something like this will require either moving the stop (the trim around the center of the jamb frame that the door closes against ) where the problem is occurring, or reset the hinge location so that the door is moved away from the stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M. View Post
    All in all, I think that Spruce is probably correct ...
    Another excellent point!