+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Smile Re: A/Cunit freezes up

Quote Originally Posted by harris8968 View Post
    I have a 2-story home in central texas (very humid) and my HVAC will not cool my home, 2400 sqft and the ac (coils not sure what it's called) will freeze up and then no air from the fan can get through to the plenum, I am completely at a loss. any help will be great,
    thanks
    Hi,
    One very common problem of freezing A coils, is the lack of proper sized ducts to move air away from the evaporator coils. We had that very problem in an office where the unit was constantly freezing up, and making a mess. There were several different service people called over the years, only to have the very same problem, Finally, we caller a very small hardware's service man to look at our problem. (the town only has 132 people) Bingo..he discovered the original duct work was never large enough to handle the CFM's for the unit. After installing larger duct work, there has never been a problem since. If the cold air cannot get away from the condenser on a very humid day, it can only freeze up, and cause problems.

I would recommend having a good service man compare the duct size to the size of your air conditioner unit, to see if it was ever large enough originally.

It could be possibly, as one person suggested, that the A-coil is plugged......maybe even the outdoor unit is plugged. You can just flush that out with water.

Good luck.

Smile Re: A/Cunit freezes up

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmist View Post
    morcolt: Just up the road from you. I am sure you would agree that if this is a re-curring problem, i.e. "ours has done this many times," that it may very well be an indication of another, possible bigger problem.

If you consistently have to add refrigerant to the "sealed circuit" then chances are you have a leak somewhere in the system. This could be at the indoor coil, the outdoor coil, or anywhere else in that refrigeration circuit.

To your second point, a second unit for the upstairs is not the "end all - cure all" solution. With very good zoning controls available today, it is not necessary to install two separate systems. With a properly designed and installed zoning system, a single system can provide independent heating and cooling to two or more spaces.

All the best, Irishmist
    I agree with this post very much. With our new modern zone controls, a single air conditioning unit, or heat pump, can handle an entire house, with no problems. We installed a new heat pump and furnace two years ago, in our 107 year old farm house. It works like a charm. When the upstairs calls for cool air, the dampers close the downstairs ducts automatically, and send all the cool air upstairs. If both areas call for cool air, both dampers remain open. If anyone wants low cooling costs in the summer, spend the extra money for a heat pump, ground source, or air source (we have an air source).

Stay cool this summer.