Hybrid View

Default A/Cunit freezes up

I have a 2-story home in central texas (very humid) and my HVAC will not cool my home, 2400 sqft and the ac (coils not sure what it's called) will freeze up and then no air from the fan can get through to the plenum, I am completely at a loss. any help will be great,
    thanks

Default Re: A/Cunit freezes up

Quote Originally Posted by harris8968 View Post
    I have a 2-story home in central texas (very humid) and my HVAC will not cool my home, 2400 sqft and the ac (coils not sure what it's called) will freeze up and then no air from the fan can get through to the plenum, I am completely at a loss. any help will be great,
    thanks
    It is the evaporator coil. The refrigerant absorbs heat from the air and cools the coil, which then returns to the condenser and compressor.

There should be a water/condensation drain to allow condensation to drain. Also, coil is probably very dirty, holding water in the mud and blocking the air flow. The expansion valve, which controls the liquid refrigerant as it enters the coil is what keeps the temperature from going below freezing in the plenum.

I would say, you have over charged the system, have not cleaned it properly and it is getting too little air flow because some of the distribution lines are blockwd or closed off.

Question ... is this a heat pump or a central air unit ?
    Is this the coil inside the air handler that's freezing up?

Is the fan ( blower ) for the air handler working ?

Have the unit checked for correct charge,its low on gas. When it is low on gas the refridgerant boils at a much lower temp. and moisture freezes instead of condensing into water and out the drain. It sounds like its just low on gas.

I concur with hvacguy. Your gas level is low for I have the exact issue with my window unit whereby every year I need to add a little more gas to keep the coils from freezing. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find the leak in my unit yet.

Schrader ports are known for leaking -some caps have orings that fall out when serviced the brass caps are better. look for oil around the pipe work and coils.

Smile Re: A/Cunit freezes up

Quote Originally Posted by harris8968 View Post
    thanks
    Hi,
    One very common problem of freezing A coils, is the lack of proper sized ducts to move air away from the evaporator coils. We had that very problem in an office where the unit was constantly freezing up, and making a mess. There were several different service people called over the years, only to have the very same problem, Finally, we caller a very small hardware's service man to look at our problem. (the town only has 132 people) Bingo..he discovered the original duct work was never large enough to handle the CFM's for the unit. After installing larger duct work, there has never been a problem since. If the cold air cannot get away from the condenser on a very humid day, it can only freeze up, and cause problems.

I would recommend having a good service man compare the duct size to the size of your air conditioner unit, to see if it was ever large enough originally.

It could be possibly, as one person suggested, that the A-coil is plugged......maybe even the outdoor unit is plugged. You can just flush that out with water.

Good luck.