+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Planning a bath is tight space...

Is there a souce for planning tools for bathrooms. I have a very small old master bath. It presently has 6' x 6' footprint ( no tub). I can get added space by taking out an adjoining closet and getting a space 11' x 6' to work with. Still very small. The exact placement of tub, shower etc. is going to difficult to get right. I figure graph paper and cut outs are going to be inportant, but I can not find a resource to tell me the size and instillation needs for differnt types of sinks, tubs etc. ANy resource you can point me to?

Default Re: Planning a bath is tight space...

Your Best bet would be to go to a plumbing Supply store they will be able to give you the information you need. One important thing to keep in mind is that that you have to make sure you will be able to get the shower and or tub in the house (through doorways, up stairs, around corners etc.). A one piece shower may look nice an be easy to keep clean but it is not likely to fit through a lot of interior doors. I put one in my house during a complete rehab and had to put it in before any interior walls were up. We actually had to hoist it over the stairway since it was not going to go around the corners of the stairway. Hope this helps you out.

11'x6' is plenty of room to build a bathroom. If you put a tub against the 6' wall that leaves you at least 8' for a vanity & toilet. A workable space as long as the door placement works.
    It's not a luxury bath, but plenty of room to get the job done.
    Any book about home or bath design will give you planning ideas.
    Or hit the stores & check out the sizes of tubs available.
    In general leave 18" from the centerline of the toilet to the next fixture. The rest is based on the size tub you want and the vanity or sink is fairy flexible. If you want to reuse your existing fixture locations it will be a bit more difficult to plan.

The typical bathroom is only about 5'x8' and houses a tub/shower, toilet, and vanity. As Ed21 mentions, door placement will affect usable space, but all in all, still a workable situation. I like the idea of gaining some space from the closet next door, however I would caution against total removal of that closet because you'd lose valuable storage space in that room and turn it into wasted floor space within the bathroom.

Good point about the closet space. A little extra breathing space in a bathroom is nice, but closet space is always at a premium.

Is the bath on an outside wall? A box-bay might be a better alternative than claiming a closet, plus the overhang helps w/the plumbing. If this is on a concrete slab, be prepared to make a mess with a concrete saw & jackhammer or else the drain pipes are going to look like a Windows screen saver!

The smallest 3-fixture bath I ever lived with was a 5x6 1/2 in a tiny house I rented & it was miserable, but with a 6x6 space, if the door is in the center of one wall, space could be had by using a 24" or 30" door (NOT ADA compliant by ANY means!) and putting the toilet on the same wall behind the door, facing the opposite wall, w/a 6" clearance in the corner & no clearance next to the door when it is open, but tons when it is closed. And then add a corner sink in the other corner of the door-wall. Then you can put a 30" wide tub or shower box on the opposite wall, along with a small linen cabinet. With the door shut, there would be a 4 1/2x6 ft floorspace including the space occupied by the toilet & sink, which is about as good as any average bathroom. This would eliminate the need to move walls, but may require ripping up the floor to move drains & tearing down drywall for new vent stacks, but really, unless the walls are plaster, you want to start over with the new paperless drywall anyway as a space that size will collect moisture so fast it would shock you.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    11'x6' is plenty of room to build a bathroom. If you put a tub against the 6' wall that leaves you at least 8' for a vanity & toilet. A workable space as long as the door placement works.
    It's not a luxury bath, but plenty of room to get the job done.
    Any book about home or bath design will give you planning ideas.
    Or hit the stores & check out the sizes of tubs available.
    In general leave 18" from the centerline of the toilet to the next fixture. The rest is based on the size tub you want and the vanity or sink is fairy flexible. If you want to reuse your existing fixture locations it will be a bit more difficult to plan.
    The door is a pocket door now and I can move that around a bit. I have a window in the middle of one wall (that will remain 6 foot). I would like to keep as much of the closet as I can.

Before remodel, my master bath was 4 feet wide and maybe 6 or 6 1/2 feet deep including shower. Tiny little bitty pedestal sink. Sitting on the toilet your arm rubbed the shower door.
    Now it's still 4 feet wide, but it's 9 feet deep with shower. We took part of a built-in desk in an adjoining bedroom and were able to leave the closet alone, and we bumped about 10-12 inches in to a little part of the hallway bath which backed up to the master.

One way my contractor saved space was to make the door open out into the bedroom (we'd thought pocket door until we realized that would mean moving the electricity and all... and he didn't put the toilet roll dispenser in the wall across from the toilet because that would have made walking past it to the shower just that much more difficult. I have a pretty, free-standing roll holder.

So one thing I'd certainly suggest is to use a 'short' toilet, not one with the elongated seat. It's amazing what a difference just and inch or two makes in a small bathroom.

I don't know what other rooms you could move a bit into, but even a little bit makes a difference. Is there any way you could take part but not all the closet?

Is your heart set on a tub instead of a shower stall? or would you be happy with a tub / shower combo?

See if this free planner will help http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/vattern...ner/index.html

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb