+ Reply to Thread

Default aluminum wiring in house

I bought my home in 1991. The house was built in 1965 . The electrical wiring is aluminum. I have had no problems. For resale - should I think about re-wiring or just leave the expensive alternative alone?

Default Re: aluminum wiring in house

Be sure to disclose the type of wiring on the sales contract.

Aluminum wire itself is not thye problem, the problem is at the connections to switches and junction boxes. In older construction, the problem of how to make connections with AL wire were not always understood and sometimes the wrong type of connectionsw and fittings were used.

This can lead to failure, or worse, a high temperature and fire.

I would have a very qualified electrician inspect your wiring to determine if there really "is no problem" and follow on-site professional advice.

Beside an electrician have an infrared thermal scan-that will remove any over heating question issue.
    www.infraredsurvey.com

Quote Originally Posted by Infraredsurvey.com View Post
    Beside an electrician have an infrared thermal scan-that will remove any over heating question issue.
    www.infraredsurvey.com
    Thermal scans are great and we as an electrical contracting company use them. However, if there is no load on the aluminum wiring terminations a thermal scan would not tell you much.

I realize this thread is pretty old but my advise would be to have a qualified electrical contractor inspect the wiring and reterminate it with an approved method.