+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OSB vs Plywood

Default OSB vs Plywood

I noticed Tom Silva using a lot of OSB on the Newton project, both on the exterior walls and on the floor in the new master bath. In years past, he preferred plywood to OSB. What has changed? Has the quality of the OSB improved? Is the 'green factor' of OSB changed his mind? Or could it be since he using the Icynene spray-in insulation, he thinks that 'adheres' everything all together?!? ...kind of like a SIP??!?

Just curious?

Default Re: OSB vs Plywood

Quote Originally Posted by TimR View Post
    I noticed Tom Silva using a lot of OSB on the Newton project, both on the exterior walls and on the floor in the new master bath. In years past, he preferred plywood to OSB. What has changed? Has the quality of the OSB improved? Is the 'green factor' of OSB changed his mind? Or could it be since he using the Icynene spray-in insulation, he thinks that 'adheres' everything all together?!? ...kind of like a SIP??!?

Just curious?
    Maybe just the price of the products was the deciding factor.
    My.02s

I have heard that not all OSB is the same. Some OSB has more waxy material in it to make it more water resistant. The OSB used in engineered I joists is (supposedly) more water resistant than regular OSB. Maybe Tom is using more water resistant OSB in the Newton house. One thing I know for sure is that if he is using it it is a good choice.

Every job we do we always use OSB. It's far cheaper & serves the exact same purpose & we've never had a problem with it. I guess I can't see why anyone would use plywood for anything except a subfloor or in a header for a door to make up the difference in thickness.

I would also imagine that a lot of it has to do with advertising.

Tom switched to all Festool a few years ago because I'm sure he got them at a discount or didn't pay at all! Just the exposure on TOH alone is worth a lot, not to mention Silva Brothers Construction using them all over New England.

So, about the OSB thing, I would imagine it is two-fold as some have mentioned. It is probably a great material because Tom Silva has a montrous reputation so he wouldn't use junk. Also because the manufacturer or suppliers probably "push" it as the latest and greatest and its a way for them to get exposure.

I would be disappointed to hear that he used OSB. I don't give him high marks for it if he did. Are you sure he wasn't using Advantec? It looks a lot like OSB except it doesn't swell and the stuff has glues in it that hold up very well. IMO, it is better than plywood because it doesn't warp and you don't have delamination.

Josh Jaros (Jaros Bros. Construction)