+ Reply to Thread

Default Hello… I am looking for my first Historic Home.

About two years ago my wife and I moved into a one bedroom condo within the Heritage Hill Historic District in Grand Rapids Michigan. Being a city planner, I instantly wanted to get involved in the neighborhood association and love everything about our neighborhood.

Now that we are expecting our first child, we realize that our one bedroom condo is not the best place to raise a kid (it is only 650 square feet), so we are looking within the neighborhood for a new home.

While I love the idea of getting a massive historic home that I can fix up when the funding presents its self, what suggestions in looking for a historic home would you have? There are about 5 homes that are for sale right now within our price range, some fully finished, some that, well one needs to be completely renovated because of water pipes exploding in the winter.

What should I look for and what are some of the more expensive renovations that I could do? I know how and have done everything but plumbing… that I am not so comfortable with.

Default Re: Hello… I am looking for my first Historic Home.

Just as an update, we found a 120 year old East Lake that was only two blocks from our condo. It was built as a wedding present for an only daughter by the first owner of the house next door. During the 30's, it was was partly converted into two apartments, then more were added. Today, it is once again a single family, and my wife and I will be welcoming our second son next March.

I during this time, I have not done much in the way of updates or upgrades beyond a few small projects. I started a blog and will be posting a link once I have a few more posts.

Default Re: Hello… I am looking for my first Historic Home.

When your not comfortable on your property and you wish to obtain new renovation tips, You can find property managers who can help you deals on that matter to look for more options on renovation.